Search

Priceline Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline Question

I was thinking about taking a solo trip in Rome in November for a few days. Since I am flying solo, I can be more flexible with dates and times to leave. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has used the "Name Your Price" option on Priceline.com. I realize it is like a auction, and companies basically accept or deny your bid for a trip, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this and how much they saved if it worked. Thanks!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
P_M

I haven't but a friend of mine and her husband bought tix to Ireland for $700 each, as opposed to $900 being charged directly from Continental Airlines.

This seemed like a good deal as they thought they had saved $200 per ticket. But they realized too late they had inadvertantly entered the wrong return date and scheduled their flight home a month later than intended. They immediately called Continental Airlines, but Continental refused to help since the tix were bought on priceline. They spent a couple of hours on the phone talking with priceline supervisors to explain their mistake. In the end they learned that a ticket bought in priceline is completely inflexible for any reason, so they ultimately had to pay $900 each for one-way tix home on the date they actually needed.

I've used priceline for hotels and I have been very pleased. If something were to happen where my plans should change, it would be no huge loss if my hotel room went unused. But plane tix are a different story, and personally I'm a little risk averse after watching my friends go through this problem. So if you still decide to do this, be aware there will be NO changes, period.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM

I use Priceline for hotels and have been very happy each time. I would love to use for flights but I'm not flexible about travel times and possible layovers (we have a child). But if I were a single traveler, heck yeah I would go for it! . On a serious note, I agree with P_M, make sure you do it right otherwise it would be an expensive mistake. Also, make sure the saving is worth the long flight/layover you might end up with! Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!! I do agree it is a bit risky, but I hope that maybe I can save 20% to 30% off the bottom line price on their website. It is definitly an advantage for the solo traveler. No way I could have pulled this off a couple months ago when I went to Europe with two friends. Thanks again!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:42 AM

I know this reply will have nothing to do with Priceline, but you might also take a look at packages. Since it's the off-season, you can sometimes save the 20% to 30% off regular prices by just booking a package with a company like Go-Today.com (even counting the taxes and single supplement for the hotel room). And you might also see upcoming sales on flights to Europe as people hesitate before purchasing a flight with the new, more stringent luggage rules, making the airfare cheaper than it might normallyl be this Fall.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:48 AM

Europhile, if you are inexperienced with PL, go to www.biddingfortravel.com, a tutorial for using PL, and be very sure you understand the bidding process. You can also find the successful bids of other PL users there.