Reload this Page >

Price of airline tickets

Search

Price of airline tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Dave

Price of airline tickets

I thought I saw somewhere that there are certain days of the week and times of days that the prices are lower. Does anyone have info on that?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:21 AM
tim

Airline prices are driven by supply and demand. (Demand forecasting is what drives most airline pricing models.) On tourist routes demand will always be heavier heading into and out of a weekend. <BR> <BR>Business travel routes can be fairly full on Monday morning and Friday afternoons, all year round. <BR> <BR>The demand is probably least on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Dave

Tim- thanks, but I don't think I made myself clear.<BR><BR>I really wanted to know if the fares which you could get online differed by day. I was looking for a fare from Philadelphia to Minneapolis for a certain set trip. On Monday, the fares I got from Travelocity, Expedia, and Northwest were about $550 to 600. On Tuesday and Wednesday, they were around $440. I didn't know if this was real, or if there was something strange about it. Maybe I should do a study myself to see if the price varies by which day of the week you look for it.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Dave

I may have just found the answer -<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/features/stt/0...cheapplane.cfm

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Don

American and TWA started a fare sale on Tuesday. Most other airlines followed suit by the end of the day.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Diane M

&lt;&lt; Message: American and TWA started a fare sale on Tuesday. Most other airlines followed suit by the end of the day.&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Dumb me! I'm looking for the best price ticket on United from Redding, CA to Kona. Last week it was $433. I thought that was quite good, but for whatever reason, I didn't act on it. Today the price is over $900!!! I wish I'd known the low price was because of a "fare sale". Does anyone know of a web site that posts these sales? I'd like to check daily, but don't know where to go.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Jim Rosenberg

While it's not likely to ELIMINATE the need to shop around completely, you can set up a Personal Fare Watcher on www.travelocity.com that will allow you to monitor five different itineraries for price changes. It will even send you an e-mail when the price changes by more than $25, if you choose that option. Terms and conditions for the fares are listed, so you'll have some help keeping up with fare sales, etc. Judging by the way things have been going, I'm expecting you will get another kick at the cat in terms of that lower fare you want -- provided you have enough time to wait.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Diane M

Thanks, Jim. I'll try travelocity.