Search

Please update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please update

Recently, someone wrote that Delta was going to offer an alcholic drink in coach for free on International flights during mealtime.

Also, someone wrote that American was going to offer free alcoholic drinks on Trans Pacific flights in coach.

Any truth to these stories.

My personal opinion is that I wish the airlines would tack another $3.00 to the price of the airline ticket and "give" the customers in coach a free "Lean Crusine" or "Healthy Choice" meal and a glass of wine on flights over three hours. I priced it at $3.00 at my local grocery store.

Anyone agree?

These flights from coast to coast or to Hawaii are just not enjoyable with a $4.00 snack pack or $2.00 Blueberry muffin.

I remember riding a train in Spain and they "gave" free earphones to everyone in coach. The earphones were an advertising promotion for a credit card.

And on a flight with Deutch BA from Berlin to Nice, they gave a free drink as a promotion for a new beverage.

Why don't the airlines contract with different companies to offer free food for promotional/advertising opportunities?

Just an idea. I feel better now. Blood pressure back to normal.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:32 AM

...because the airlines consider us to be I don't know how best to describe it but something less than their guests.

To be locked up in what is basically a chamber for 5 or 6 hours without a distraction is very uncomfortable to say the least.

At least a meal service, which never cost them all that much, creates some sort of diversion and helps the time go by.

And the European airlines have not found it necessary to stoop to the low of American carriers and charge for wine with dinner in coach and I don't see where their prices are any higher than American's.

The worst is American's "snack" on west bound trans Atlantic flights an hour and a half out of JFK...while both BA and VS service finger sandwiches which aren't all that bad, we get from American that snack pack of a bunch of inedible garbage. Also both VS and BA give small ice cream bars midway through the westbound flights to JFK from LHR...why not AA?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:05 AM

I also wonder why the airlines don't provide meals. I don't mind a few more dollars on the ticket price.

I am willing to pay for individual small bottled waters and drinks like CranGrape.

The meals are a distraction, entertainment of a sort and/or a little needed energy boost on flights.

I don't mean to offend anyone. However, I feel the endless silent scream for CHEAP from many ticket seekers is part of the no food plan.

Alcohol does not matter to me. I love that sparkling grape drink that tastes like Asti. If the airlines offer it for free or for a fee I will be thrilled.

What is wrong with tying to make flying pleasant and keeping flyers happy? That might help the bottom line and fill more planes.

My preference is to pay a little more for the ticket and get a few nice comforts.

The flight attendant as cashier in the sky blocking the aisles and trying to find change annoys me.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but what other business is required to feed you for free while you use their services?

I am paying less than what I paid TWENTY years ago for the same flight (Tampa to Philly roundtrip used to be $198 in 1986 - I am paying $108 in October 2006).

We don't expect free food when we go to a (very long) movie, not on a bus trip, not on an all morning wait at the doctor's office, not on a train, nowhere that I can think of. Yet we expect free (and delicisou!) food from an airline.

I don't get it.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. If it is a two hour flight, I can understand no food, but Dallas to Hawaii, New York to San Francisco? They need to make those flight attendants work! This way, they will quit before they get old and crabby.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Joan

I'm glad you are saving money, but Tampa to Philly is only a 2 hour 24 minute flight.

And we're not expecting the airline to give us free food.

However, for flights over four hours, include the food cost in the ticket price so the flight attendants don't block the isle of the aircraft.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Well, it sure sounded like you want free food.

As for going to the grocery, adding up the Lean Cuisine and a glass of wine to $3...you do realize somebody must be paid to refrigerate, transport, and heat these Lean Cuisines, right? And that "somebody" better be heating that food to the right temperature - which means training and thermometers, etc, and in an airport we're talking UNION wages.

I deliver Meals on Wheels - just like airline food - and the COST is $6 without the wine, and using volunteers to deliver the food. So I think your estimate is off by at least half, not including the wine.

On a recent flight, (I think it was Air Tran) they announced they would not accept cash for beverages, only credit/debit cards. I am sure this is to prevent the whole cashier problem you refer to. Since you say you don't want it for free, but just want something good and less hassle with the cash/cart problem, how would that work for you?

I'm not being snotty here, I'm sorry if it comes off that way. I just don't think the airlines should be responsible for feeding me - I'd much rather bring on a tasty sandwich I chose before boarding. So no, don't charge me more and feed me. I'll bring or buy my own thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Looking at prices for next year to Europe, American Airlines is matching Virgin Atlantic's price, and British Airways is $35 cheaper. Doesn't take too many brains to go with the airline that offers free alcohol and food--not a snack pack. Let the Buyer Beware.

In short, the U.S. airlines have cut out the extras and brought the price back up.

I really think that when people bring their own food on an eight-hour flight it creates a health issue. No refrigeration for the food and no hospitals between California and Hawaii.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Right now according to Orbitz January flights from JFK to LHR are in the mid $500 return...that is an obscenely high absurd fare.

Sooner or later, the airlines will announce their post holiday sales and expects fare to drop to a much more reasonable $300-$350 return.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM

There are actually a lot of legal issues with providing free alcohol on domestic flights. And these legal issues are very convoluted. There is also the problem that alcoholic beverages are regulated at a State level. That's a lot of legalese to wade through.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:11 AM

....but don't they provide free booze in business and first class? They seem to have mastered the legal issues there.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:57 AM

<b>as posted by Wally</b>,

<i>Looking at prices for next year to Europe, American Airlines is matching Virgin Atlantic's price, and British Airways is $35 cheaper.</i>,

when and if you are posting <b>actual</b> information, try not to drink before you do that. Here are some facts:

www.BA.com - JFK-LHR
1/10-1/17 - $464.73
3/7-3/14 - $464.73
5/7-5/14 - $613.73

www.AA.com - JFK-LHR
1/10-1/17 - $464.00
3/7-3/14 - $464.00
5/7-5/14 - $613.00

Perhaps you see a $35 difference because of the drinks and your need to have 7 glasses of wine (AA charges $5 per glass in economy), but I see it as (almost) the exact same fare, actually $0.73 cheaper.

Besides with 2 R/Ts and some status, AA will give you a free domestic ticket, I wonder what BA will give you? oh, I forgot....some cheap wine....

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:36 AM

I understand the griping about cattle-class airline service, but I continue to wonder about complaints about free wine, food, sneaking soda on board cruise ships, paying corkage fees.

I am as much in search of a bargain as anyone else - and some of that allows me to travel as much as I do - but after paying thousands for a vacation, I refuse to stress over whether or not I have to pay for a glass of lousy wine, some cheese and crackers or the brand diet soda I drink at home. Life is to short.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

AA will match BA's price from Miami if you don't use the DIRECT (Miami/London) flight. You have to fly to New York on an Airbus 300 (you know, the kind of plane where the tail falls off if a 747 goes by).

If you fly on AA's Direct Miami/London flight, the price is higher than on BA's. And as everyone knows, the service in economy DOESN'T EXIST.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>I am as much in search of a bargain as anyone else - and some of that allows me to travel as much as I do - but after paying thousands for a vacation, I refuse to stress over whether or not I have to pay for a glass of lousy wine, some cheese and crackers or the brand diet soda I drink at home. Life is to short.</i>

Amen. But people love to gripe about something, don't they?

Can't recall if I ever got &quot;free&quot; wine or food back when I rode Greyhound up and down and across the country regularly. Oh, yeah, except when that guy we picked up in Lodi one night sat next to me and fell asleep snoring at me with breath that was composed of 2/3 horse and 1/3 Red Mountain Burgundy content. Slept all the way to LA. We both had hangovers.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

&quot;Can't recall if I ever got &quot;free&quot; wine or food back when I rode Greyhound up and down and across the country regularly.&quot;

I don't believe Greyhound makes one throw out their liquids before boarding the bus.

Sorry, I didn't mean to twist your arm for an answer, but then, I guess I didn't.

But no one has answered the original question of this post which is: Is Delta offering a free drink with meals on International flights and is American offering some type of free alcohol on flights across the Pacific.

Would anyone like to answer the question?

And by the way, if you want to rant and rave, &quot;start your own thread.&quot;
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Here's the original news release from DL. Should have started July 1. I can't confirm.

news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10282

I cannot find anything on aa.com that says they provide free drinks on their Pacific flights.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM

<b>Wally</b>,

You asked for a comparison test and here it is. Same dates as above, from MIA to LHR, <b>both airlines</b> non-stops:

BA:
JAN - $641.73
MAR - $$609.73
MAY - $733.73

AA:
JAN - $600.80
MAR - $600.80
MAY - $733.80

so, once again, a big question mark? what's your point?

The grub in coach is about the same, AA charges $5 per drink but in return gives you 100% of actual miles flown, BA gives you 25% and that is only if you're a member already, if not, you can't sign up to their program when flying on these fares, so you get <b>nothing</b>. The service varies on both airlines, sometimes outstanding, sometimes good, sometime bad, so let's not kid ourselves.

You want to try again?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM

AAFF - We all know free drinks and no seat-belt signs are way more important than FF miles for some people!

BTW, after many many months, I suddenly realize that I haven't thought about this connetion before - the more drinks one have, the more frequent one has to use the bathroom. And if the seat belt signs stays on, you know...
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Buyer Beware:

If you want miles, fly with American.

If you want free drinks and flight attendants that don't wake you up at 3:00 a.m. to say, &quot;The captain has not turned off the fasten seatbelt sign, please return to your seat,&quot; fly British Airways.

If you want an excellent selection of movies to choose from, fly BA.

If you want a small choice of movies with plenty of advertising to listen to, fly American.

If you want crappy food and a snack pack, fly American.

If you want an excellent dessert and salad with your meal, fly BA.

Buyer Beware

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -