Our recent flights on Asiana

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our recent flights on Asiana

We flew Asiana LAX-ICN-Syd R/T in biz. Our out bound was Nov. 29 with a return Dec 18th. We live in a burb of Chicago and I had tried to get a NS ORD-SYD on UAL and upgrade to biz with miles but the return was not available and it would have cost us 6K and 80k miles vs. the freebie saver award on Asiana for $240.00 in taxes and 320k miles for the two of us. Its was a no brainer money wise though we had to get to LAX and back on our own. We flew in a day early, stayed at an airport hotel, the Marriott Courtyard and got a day room at the Hyatt Incheon as we had a 12 hr. break between flights. Over all even with the ORD-LAX RT and the two hotel rooms we still saved about 4k though our trip was much longer.

All of our flights on Asiana were on A380"s and we had the exact same seats on every flight, 9E and 9F which were two seats together in the center aisle and they had the fully flat or quadratic-smartium seats.

I do think they could provide a duvet for more cushioning like ANA goes in their biz class but beyond that all was super. The FA"s are all very polite and polished and meet your needs promptly and with a smile. Their on board service is wonderful. By contrast on the UAL flight to LAX we had birds eye view in row 2 of the FA's getting quite flustered when a seated passenger complained that he was being bumped for a UAL employee. He purchased his ticket two mos. prior and was quite peeved. One FA made sort of a snippy announcement that people needed to be seated before the plane took off. Clearly she was a bit upset. However someone agreed to a bump so all went well. Thereafter the service was good but really it in no way can compare to how we were treated on Asiana.

The IFE was fine with me. I watched 5 movies RT and there were other options like TV series (Hawaii 5-O, McGyver, Sherlock Holmes just to name a few), music of all sorts, children shows, a comedy station, news channels, sports documentaries, etc. The movie categories included modern, classics, new releases and foreign. Sue watch 3 Indian movies so she was happy.

The food was very good. We pre ordered Indian food for her. The last time on Asiana she really didn't like it but this time it was quite she said so clearly it had improved or at least changed to her liking. .

The beverages were great. I do like a good Scotch and their selections included an 18 yr.old Chivas Regal and a 17 yr. old Ballantines. Not bad. The cognac I tried was a Camus XO which was excellent.

we were 2 hrs. late leaving Seoul for Sydney as the weather was bad and we had to wait to be deiced. For us it was not an issue as we were to arrive in Sydney early and go to our hotel so it really didn't matter.

The flight back had a mere 1 hr. 40 minute break in Seoul but as we left on time we made it with time to spare even though we had to take a shuttle train to another terminal.

Over all I just love this airline as we are treated so well, the IFE and food and beverages are very good but its the service that shines.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 10:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've only flown Asiana once - RT to Hong Kong through Seoul and even in economy is was really good. Haven't had reason to use them since but it was one of the best coach flights I've taken.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I’ve read similar comments about coach in Cathay and Singapore too.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 09:51 AM

I'm glad you had a good experience.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the report. I’m checking this week on some FF flights and will keep them in mind.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.

This is about the 3rd time we’ve flown them and this one was the best really all things considered,