Orbitz? FlightHub? Cheapoair?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for decently-priced tickets from Toronto to Ft Lauderdale, mid-February. I know this is a high-priced time to fly from a cold place to a hot place and that's why I'm shopping around. I've never bought airline tickets any other way than from the airline or expedia and I've never used any of these 'bargain' sites.

Are they reputable? Any problems to look out for?
Thanks
gtg
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 07:30 PM

I have used Orbitz before and think it's totally reputable. Haven't used the others you mention, sorry. Good luck!
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 07:12 AM

Personally, I wouldn't book anywhere other than the airline site. Problems can arise with a schedule change or any sort of glitch - like a missed flight - and the various non-airlines sites will just not be as helpful to you if there is a problem. Most airlines guarantee that their site will give you the lowest available price.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 07:20 AM

<the various non-airlines sites will just not be as helpful to you if there is a problem>
I have heard this said many times, and while I can't disprove it, can anyone prove it? Has anyone had a problem that an online travel agency wouldn't help with; and then a similar problem that an airline could help with?

I'm not arguing with you, Kathie, I'm just wondering if this is a thing that is said in an abundance of caution or a real thing.

I know the online guys are hard to reach via phone call, but I bet they respond to Tweets. And why wouldn't the airlines help you rebook, even if you didn't book through them?

Anyway, for the OP, last-minute deals are nly available through onlne consolidators.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 08:45 AM

There have been many, many reports from travelers over the years right here on Fodors about such problems.

And while I expect these online retailers will respond to tweets, I'm not sure that helps you much when you are stranded in an airport halfway around the world.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Why doesn't it help you? A Twitter conversation is the same as any conversation, and airports have WiFi.

I know there have been problems; my point, admittedly unprovable, is that the same problems may have arisen had the tickets been booked through the airline--problems arise.

And my second question is, even if you booked through Orbitz, if your flight is canceled,or whatever, why can't the airline rebook you? It can, in fact.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 10:00 AM

The last time I booked through Expedia our outbound flight was delayed, guaranteeing we would miss our connection in Europe. We were notified by the airline by email before we heard from Expedia and assured when I phoned that we would be given the first available connecting flight when we checked in at the airport. Expedia notified us somewhat later and offered us a connecting flight several hours later than the one we were able to book through the airline ( I think it was BA). Case in point.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'm checking all possible sources and even different airports than we usually fly to (like West Palm Beach).

I don't see much of a difference, price-wise, between the 'bargain' sites and the airlines but I'm not making any purchase just yet.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 03:49 PM

FlightHub is based in Canada and has come under official scrutiny for its business procedures. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation carried this report a few months ago:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...arns-1.3214760
Orbitz, once a favorite of mine, is in a takeover situation and it seems, to me, less competitive, meaning fewer choices than some.
I use Cheapoair for basic reference, especially since it will convert fares into $Cdn. It also is easier than some, including Expedia, for assembling separate legs of an itinerary.
For simple routes, I usually return to the site of the airline. The price will be as good or better and it sometimes may be easier to make advance seat selections. Cheapo and its many competitors are useful to assemble an itinerary involving several airlines which don't sell each other's tickets.
No site has all the flights, everywhere, at least not yet.
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Southam: The OP's trip was last Feb.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 12:36 PM

Flighthub is a completely reputable website. I've personally done business with them twice and so far, I've not encountered any mishaps. If you want help booking your flight from Toronto to Ft. Lauerdale then do trust them as they're from Canada. They'll probably be able to prioritize your case since you're in their area. I have nothing bad to say about them as they arranged my flights and both times I had not any problems at all and I must say to thank them for their sincere effort.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks and yes, that's true, janis, but coincidentally we may be looking for a last minute trip to Florida between Christmas and New Years. Only we won't be able to make that decision well into December.

Still, all this flight info is now usable again!
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 11:46 AM

FlightHub is reliable and the deals are really cheap. I have booked with them four or five times now, fast confirmation and ticket is printed quickly. I only took me 3 minutes to get in touch with their customer service to once again confirm my flight, I was hesitant at first, but good job FlightHub.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 12:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Mickaella and Yvonne are first timers w/ very similar posts.
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 03:51 AM

I noticed that too, janisj. I have to wonder at the time these shills spend trying to fool us into thinking they are genuine fans of a particular company. They’re not even clever about it. “Do trust them because they are from Canada”? “They probably will be able to privatize your case because your are from their area”? Doesn’t even make sense.
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

As it turned out, we booked a package deal directly from the hotel website.

Thanks, all.