Search

O'Hare help

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O'Hare help

I have a rather tight connection and will need to get from terminal 1 going to terminal 5 in about an hour. Can I do this without going in and out of security? What is most efficient way? Sorry I haven't been in O'hare for years!! Thanks for any help.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:28 AM
J62

To get between Terminal 1 and Terminal 5 take the Airport Transit System​ (ATS). Terminals 1, 2 and 3 have pedestrian connections on the secure side of the airport, Terminal 5 does not.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/tbt.aspx

I think you need to be very precise on the minutes you have, from the time you deplane to the time you must be at the departure gate. If you've factored in deplaning time (could be as fast as 10min after arrival, or could be longer depending on your seat), and the "no-later than" cut off time for departure, then 60min is doable if you have TSA pre-check & can run. But there is no room for error.....Flight delay, waiting for ground staff to guide you to the gate, deplaning delays, takikng a wrong turn trying to find the ATS, lines at TSA, etc.....

The other question you need to ask yourself is "what do I do if I miss my T5 flight". You may be out a lot of $, and you may have to wait a day until you can get on the next flight to your destination. Lots of details to consider.

I have TSA precheck, can sprint through an airport, and am generally risk tolerant, and I would not be comfortable with only 60min T1 to T5 connection..

Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've only connected at ORD a couple of times -- I'm not sure but isn't terminal 1 mostly domestic and terminal 5 mostly international flights? Where are you fling from/to?

Assuming your arrival flight is domestic, you will have to take a bus but won't have to go through security.

Are these on the same ticket or separate bookings? If the same ticket and you miss the connection they will put you on the next available flight.

Also if these are separate tix - do you have checked luggage? Most likely your bags won't be checked through

Old May 22nd, 2024, 02:07 PM
J62

I forgot about the airside / secure area bus. It was suspended during covid and I can’t vouch that its running again.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I am on one ticket (United/partners) going domestic to international and I just did check on the Ohare website and see the terminal transfer bus which indicates you don't have to go through security again. I'm trying not to stress (hard for me) but the airlines changed my schedule and it is much tighter than I would normally allow. Crossing my fingers and thank you again.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:29 AM

The airside bus is running. I haven't had to use it, but I believe you can catch it near gate B1. Which United partner are you flying? I ask because a couple of them (Lufthansa and ANA) depart from Terminal 1 rather than Terminal 5.

janisj - Delta, Southwest, Frontier and maybe one other smaller carrier now operate from Terminal 5, so there is quite a bit more domestic traffic there just in the last couple of years.