NWA slowdowns?

Aug 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

NWA slowdowns?

(I posted this over on the US thread, too. Hope you all don't mind.)

Northwest Airlines is having a tough time in its negotiations with mechanics. A strike deadline on Aug. 20 looms. Bankruptcy keeps coming up.

As a FF out of MSP, I'd love to know if anyone who's flying them in the next couple of weeks is noticing any evidence of work slowdowns, flaky excuses for delayed flights, etc.

I'm just interested to see how this all plays out and what to expect when I fly.

Thanks all.
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Delays and cancellations are cropping up and our experience last weekend going through the Detroit hub made it clear that things are pretty rocky.
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:10 AM
katybird

Flyboy..
What happened? Was your flight cancelled or delayed?

Aug 6th, 2005, 09:39 PM

I read in the travel section of USAToday that NW is having a problem with delayed flights, late arrivals etc. A few days ago I read somewhere on the web that the thought was that the employees were having a "work slowdown" due to the labor/management problem. I am a FF of NW also. I hope the situation gets worked out.
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:24 AM

katybird, we didn't do too badly ourselves since our delays were pretty minor in the big picture, but there were many other people in the airport who had spent many hours with delays and cancellations. When you get into a situation with union members "working to rule" and add in some of the discretion that can be exercised with respect to safety concerns, etc., then you have the makings of a difficult situation.
Aug 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM
katybird

Flyboy, Thanks for the info. Every day I check our flight numbers and they are running and pretty much on time. It probably doesn't mean a thing as I'm afraid things could change at any time...makes me very nervous! We are traveling from SYR through DTW to SEA 8/30 with a return 9/13. Just hoping we can make our destination by 8/31 at the latest.
I have even thought about buying new tickets on another airline but that would be expensive at this late date.

Aug 7th, 2005, 05:19 AM

I volunteer at Travelers Assistance at the Minneapolis airport. There have been a lot more delays and cancellations than usual at NW. They frequently blame it on "maintenance". they can't blame weather...it has been beautiful. It is the smaller markets that are being hit the worst, I think. it is really hard on people.