Northwest - Houston to Bangkok

Sep 10th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Northwest - Houston to Bangkok

Am thinking of flying Northwest Airlines Houston to Bangkok because they are priced at $925 roundtrip (April 2004 departure) and I can get FF miles.
Would like to hear from folks who have flown them recently- especially this route. Have seen the other posts about Northwest so I'm not exactly thrilled with this idea- but neither am I thrilled about paying a lot more to fly on another airline without FF miles.
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Have you though doing it the other weay around and using KLM IAH-AMS-BKK, as KLM is partner of NW you would get your points.
Sep 10th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks but that won't work- I am a Continental FF and I don't think I would get the FF miles by flying KLM.
Also when you go on the KLM site they bump you over to the NWA site and route you thru the west coast.
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:07 PM

having tried to go via Europe on KLM for this same route, I can relay the following: the miles charged are nearly double. They book you to Europe then Europe to Thailand. It's a dumb thing but there you go! However, I have used Continental miles to fly to Amsterdam on KLM - it was 80,000 for business last year........
Sep 12th, 2003, 05:49 PM

BillT, I've flown to Bangkok several times on NWA, including within the past year. The routing I've taken has been MSP-NRT; NRT-BKK. They were using 747-400 aircraft and if you choose your seats carefully, you can do okay. The NRT-BKK segment is a little less than seven hours and I've felt that the food was okay and in plenty adequate quantity over the course of the entire trip.

The FF miles are no small thing, as you know. You will be well on your way to attaining or retaining elite status on this single trip. To calculate the mileage, go to:

http://www.nwa.com/freqfly/track/calc.html

The most accurate way is to enter each segment.

Not only have I enjoyed visiting Bangkok the last couple of years, but that trip has resulted in many, many domestic first class upgrades and double miles on every trip I fly with Northwest (or Continental, too, for that matter). The benefits largely offset the price of the ticket, so it is very important to capture them.