Noise Canceling Head Phones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to buy noise canceling head phones for my frequent flights but I am not sure how they work as I am very technically challenged. I do not own a walk man or ipod etc. and simply want some good head phones to block out noise. I am looking at brands such as Bose or NoiseBusters. Do I need to hook the head phones up to an Ipod or walkman etc. or do they work on their own? If anyone can explain it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 04:01 AM

No, you don't have to connect the noise cancelling headphones to any type of iPod or sound system. They have an on/off button on the headphones which activates the "white noise" feature that blocks out unwanted background noise. Simply turn the headset on and you'll be just fine. You can, if you wish, connect the headset's jack to the in-flight entertainment system on the aircraft if you want to watch the in-flight movie or listen to in-flight music (the jack recepticle and volume controls for the in-flight entertainment system will be found on the armrest of your seat). If you don't want to use the jack simple remove it from your headset - you can click it back into place whenever it's needed. There are a full set of easy to follow instructions with every headset but it takes only a minute or two to become familar with using the headset.

By the way, I've used the Bose headset for many years and find they work quite well.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not "white noise" - the 'phones have sensors that pick up outside noise and generate "canceling" wavelength sound (remember the sine curve - ~ ? When the curve is at a "top" peak, the 'phones generate the "bottom" equivalent, which has the perceived effect of making the curve a straight line, i.e., negating the "top" peak.

When buying NC 'phones it's essential to try on as many different pairs as you can, both for effectiveness and for comfort. I don't like the "in-ear" or ear-bud types, and prefer "over-ear" instead of "on-ear" sort, both of which are made by Bose and many other manufacturers.

I use some JVC "over-ear" 'phones that were US$60 instead of $300 for Bose NC2s. They're almost as good as the Bose, but a helluva lot cheaper.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Gardyloo is correct - it's not white noise but since I didn't know the technical term that's why I put it in quotes. Whatever scientific principals are at work the headphones cancel out a lot of the engine and other noises - make for a more relaxed flight.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:21 AM
J62

I have a pair of compact Sennheiser 'on ear' style headphones that I like.

A couple comments.

They (all noise canceling headphones) are good at reducing background noises like a/c fans and engine noise, but that also permits higher frequency sounds to be hear - including kids crying or the couple right behind you incessantly talking about nothing. In that regard the 'over hear' style which cups the entire ear also help reduce.

NC headphones are also great just when waiting in a terminal. You'd be surprised how much background noise is present, and waiting in quiet is much more relaxing.

I like to put on music from my ipod, even at low level just to keep out talking, galley noises, etc.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM

If your not going to listen to music, save yourself a lot of many and get a good set of ear plugs.

If you want to listen to music, check out a pair of in-ear monitors. Sound isolation instead of noise cancelling and sound quality is better in the high end brand mondels (Shure/Etymotic).