Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Anyone else involved in the US Airways nightmare yesterday ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a mess !! We were flying out of Vegas - 2 hour delay - supposedly caused by the US AIR/Amer West merger then Charlotte was a total diaster !! What we heard was all their computers were down from the merger and plane maintenace was at a stop. The first plane has a maintenace delay because the spring in the flight attendents jump seat was broken then on the flight from Charlotte to Newark we were never told the problem but after sitting on the place for over an hour we had to get off and board another plane. People were going crazy in Charlotte !
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM

There's an article about it on today's Wall Street Journal. Basically, all check-in kiosks were down until later afternoon at all major hubs. 80+% of flights were delayed, many severely delayed; others left with their intended passengers still in the terminal.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Another reason those who fly for work purposes earn their status with the airlines. I'd hate to have to deal with the headaches in airports on a weekly basis.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My daughter flew USAir Sunday night from Indianapolis to Boston. Her flight was a bit late, but not more than 30 minutes.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Good News ! I called US Air and told them the whole story - no questions asked they gave me travel vouchers to cover all my expenses !! I didn't write the whole story (not to bore anyone) but we had a really big mess - someone had been baby sitting my dog in Charlotte and was at the airport to hand him to me for the trip home to EWR and this didn't happen because of the delays and mess there - so he haad to stay there until someone could fly with him to EWR ( I won't put him in cargo) now this meant another health certificate because now the first one was outdated ! Plus a round trip ticket from CLT to Ewr. But they gave me enought to cover all my expenses - it is a travel voucher but I do fly alot.