My AA & Virgin Experience - SFO to LHR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my trip to London was great and I have to say that I'm really impressed with AA and Virgin in their own rights. Thanks to jetlag, here's my ramble....

AA 777 Flight from ORD-LHR was really great. I have always flown on a 744 or a 763 long distance, so the 777 was a new experience. AA's space was nice, the service was fairly good, and in-flight entertainment also good. Yours truly didn't pay for his drinks, I took my own and managed quite nicely for those who doubted me.

Virgin was FANTASTIC, even in Economy. The service is the best I have ever received, the drinks kept'a coming, and 40 movies to choose from is just phenomenal. Virgin was everything I thought it would be and more. Apparently they are putting a big dent into BA's business.

Just to give you an idea of Virgin service -some seat's entertainment systems were acting up in-flight. Virgin then allocated portable DVD players to these individuals. I doubt any other airline has these fail-safe measures ready for customer satisfaction. Most would just say you're shit-outa-luck.

Net Net: The 777 was great for more space, but Virgin's 744 service/entertainment made this one a close draw.

RKKWAN - do you know how many 777s American has? I'm curious since I've only noted that SOME their US-Euro ops have these planes, but NOT their South American flights other than DFW-Buenos Aires. I'm curious about AA's portfolio...will they be buying more 777s? Any 787s on order? What are your thoughts on the 777 vs 763?

Side note: I also took a Airbus 321 to Paris and Air France's idea of "Business Class/First Class" is the 3 regular/clothed seat alignment, with a drink tray in the 2nd seat. What a joke...

Cheers guys,

Scott
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM

It is simply amazing the kind of information you can find on <b>www.aa.com</b>

<b>https://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/fleet.jhtml</b>

For first class service - 777 Atlantic Suites - just fabulous!!!

For Busines 777 vs first/business 763 - 763 - most definitely

Coach - either one, exit row seats if possible!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I did forget one important factor for coach travel:

777 - individual screens

763 - communal screens only
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Little more info -

AA also runs 762s(767-200) - a true 3 class plane on long haul Flagship routes (i.e. JFK-LAX/SFO) The first class is very nice, although not the suites, a very comfortable, very exclusive, small cabin with great service.

763 = 767-300

AA has no plans at the moment to b uiy any planes. They just don't have the cash and they are trying a &quot;new&quot; idea in the airline industry - stay out of bancrupcy court (imagine that?) and actually contribute to their employess retirement plan and pay their suppliers.

So, there will not be any new orders for new planes, just so they could make a nice PR announcement.

My best estimate is that they will place an order for 787s in about 2 years time. Just my humble opinion.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

AA, good to hear from you bud. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. The trip was truly great.

And yes, right after I posted I went to aa.com and found the plane portfolio, but thanks anyways.

The 763 I often take from SFO to Miami on business is pretty good for what it is, but I was very impressed with the 777. I fly a bit (mostly LAX, MIA, SEA, DFW) and I'm suprised it's taken this long for my first time, albeit AA only does 777 on its true long-haul routes.

I wish American would expand more into Europe though...but I guess that's what OneWorld is for.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:13 AM

The 763s on international routes are much different in service when compared to 763s on domestic routes.

The F/B cabin on this 2 class bird gets what amounts to be almost 777 F food and wines. You also get a personal DVD player with about 15 disks. New releases, old classics, TV shows, children programing and this must be new but on my recent flights to/from Dublin it also included the new DVD movie/song trivia game. Pretty cool. So that's why I prefer the 763 on international routes. The front cabin is better with food/wines and entertainment than the business cabin on a 777. If I'm flying in F, then the 777 Atlantic suites is the way to go.

Also, AA does fly the 777s on some domestic routes. ORD-DFW and DFW-LAX, DFW-MIA are some that come to mind. What's nice about these flights is that AA sells it as a 2 class plane. Elites can reserve business seats when flying coach (although you will only get economy service), but it's also very possible to request a domestic &quot;stickers&quot; upgrades or mileage upgrades and if you succeed, you get to check out the F cabin. The DFW-MIA route usually, but not guaranteed, will have the fabulous Atlantic suites.

All 777s will get the Atlantic configuration by 2007. Right now it's about 60% Atlantic/ 40% Pacific configuration.

Don't get me wrong. The Pacific config is very nice, just NOT as nice as the Atlantic suites.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:44 AM

Guess you were able to get one of the planes with extra room in coach with AA. I find that Virgin and BA offer a larger selection of movies and they are not edited as much. Did Virgin have Video on Demand? or did you have to wait for the movies to start over? It sure would be nice if AA could give free drinks before and with dinner (that's only 2)and then make people start paying. They might get some of their customers back.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I think AA will introduce more 757 service from Boston to Europe before anything else. They probably like what they see in CO's strategy, and they're also ordering blended wings for their 757. Only question is whether they'll put international business class seats on the planes.

[CO's converting all their 757-200 to international business-class config.]

Anyways, just some personal experience between AA and VS. I used to fly AA a bit to Tokyo, and my one and still-only international business-class upgrade is on AA's 747SP, so it'll remain a favorite airline of mine.

On the other hand, the worse flight I've ever had in my life - we're talking about hundreds of flights - is on VS.

So, there you go...
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:03 AM

I guess the 757-300's won't make the flight across the pond? And Boeing isn't making 757's anymore. Perhaps Boeing will need to start making them again. Could the Airbus A320 make it across the pond?
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:21 AM

757-300s can make it across the Atlantic if they are ETOPS certified. CO's 753s aren't, and AA doesn't have any 753. NW's are, and they use them for Hawaii. Germany's Condor probably use them across the Atlantic to the Carribean, though I'm not 100% sure.

Regular 320s don't have the range, but there are &quot;business jet&quot; versions of the 319 flown by Privatair for other airlines that do.