missed connection/change airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister in law is in route from Japan to San Fran trying to get to Houston. she is going to miss her flight to Houston and now has to take another UA flight from San Fran to Denver and then to Houston getting her here 7 hours later than planned. Can she use her UA ticket on another airline with a fee? There are flights on Continental directly from San Fran to Houston that she could catch but can't just buy another ticket. Thoughts? Advice? thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Is she traveling on one ticket from Japan to Houston with a connection in SF? If so, the airline is responsible for getting her to Houston and she can try to convince them to put her on another carrier, but on this busy travel week she may have to accept whatever flights they offer.

If there are separate tickets (japan-SF and SF-Houston), she will be a no-show for the second flight and will have to make her arrangements to get to Houston at her own expense via other flights.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM

In the old days, you could take your ticket from Airline A in that situation to Airline B and often Airline B themselves would be able to put you on their own flight. Today with web fares etc. it may not be so easy, but it's certainly worth a try! If she has time, have her head to the Continental ticket counter in SFO and just ask. All they can say is no!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Any non-refundable ticket has to endorsed over to the new carrier by the carrier that sold the ticket. You can't just walk over and ask. It won't work.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM

As I said, I did it in the old days - that was about 15 years ago (and believe me, these were the cheapest tickets I could get at that time). It may not work anymore depending on the fare. If there was an endorsement process it was accomplished with a quick phone call - I don't remember. I just remember I didn't have to go to original airline first.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:21 AM

ONe of the features you give up when buying a discounted ticked is the endorsability. Not all (in fact, fairly few) discount tickets can be endorsed over to another airline. You need to check the specific fare rules for your ticket.

In general full fare tickets can be endorsed over OR your airline will purchase a ticket on another airline if they have no endorsement agreement in place. That is a benefit of paying full fare.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM

United definitely needs to come up with a different plan. United is telling callers to avoid using Denver airport today (and yesterday the 28th) because of weather. They have a ticket restriction waiver in place thru Dec. 30.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I hope SIL made it ok, TWO DAYS AGO, lol! One of the flights from NRT-SFO was late by 28 minutes on the 28th also, too late to connect to what appears to be the only HOU nonstop of the day on United. There are lots of two-connection options but the ones I saw all go via DEN. All the UA flights from NRT to LAX and SFO are on-time/early today.