Reload this Page >

Looking for cheap fares on the web

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:22 PM
buck

After spending a couple of hours yesterday looking the a good fare from SFO to Nashville, Te. I was given anywhere from $360 t$420 roundtrip and some had 3 changes and going to different airlines. I then went to the Southwest web site direct and found a fare for $196,from SFO to Nashville, one change in San, had to leave from Oakland but that'sok because I can park there for $10 a day and at SFO would have to take a cab each for $30 so all around better deal, who cares about one of the crummy meals they serve on airlines anyway. I just take the peanuts and get something to take on board for the flight from san to Nashville. Does anyone know why the booking sites will not give you a quote from Southwest? Must be because its half price and their commission would be lower, is that correct? Any one have the same thing happen to them? Happy Trails, Buck

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:00 PM
vodo4

Just my opinion: <BR>Southwest is a budget airline. No major company even includes SW when searching for low fares. In cities with more than one airport, they are often flying from the worst one. The cattle car, no meal, old plane mentality is not good for any business travel. They are basically valu-jet without the devastating crash. It is, however, very inexpensive. The flight attendants and pilots are more relaxed, and they will joke around quite a bit. It's simply a trade-off.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:29 PM
Buck

Thanks Vodo 4 for the message, and I can see why some people would stay away from SW, but my criteria for this trip was go the cheapest way and some of your major carriers had me flying back and forth across the country with 3 to 4 changes and also changing airlines. If my company were paying for this I would not go SW,but as you say its a trade-off. No food for a lousy cold meal. Worst airport, Oakland or SFO, Parking at SFO, $40 a day, Oakland $10, No seat assignment, last time on BA I had a nice seat but 2 crying babies from SFO to London, with a extra kicker, the plane was one day late leaving, was supposed to go at 4pm and at 10 pm they told us, sorry, we'll try it again tomorrow. Yes you are right the major carriers are so much better. Thanks for the note, Happy Travels, Buck

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:29 AM
Tricia

We fly Southwest all the time and use their website, which I love- if you go to www.airlines.com where you can look up the safety record of any airlines try looking up Southwests's! No accidents! Zero! Nada! I don't recall NOT getting food! I think they feed you! My daughter went coast to coast with them and was fed, I'm sure! They are NOT Value Jet!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Susan

I heard that one way Southwest saves costs is by not participating in the other airlines' reservation systems. Southwest has their own reservation system so that's why you can book by calling them direct or through their web site, but not get their price info through other airlines' computer and travel agency web sites. I think American Airlines's Sabre reservation system was the only system that had access to Southwest reservation but there were problems where bookings were coming back not confirmed. Just for your info...

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Mary

vodo, I so strongly disagree with your take on Southwest. I travel a great deal and they are one of my favorite. ( Tops right now is American because of the extra room ) The only downside is that you are not assigned seats. Of course, that can also be a good thing. At least you have some control.....come early and get a good selection. Their prices are not always better but they sure have some good specials.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Sherry

Re: low fare website posting SW fares. I found that Side Step provides very good information and it does include SW. It is a program you download. I think the addy is www.sidestep.com. It is only one tool I use for shopping, but have found it very helpful to date. Best of luck. <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Zed

Southwest is a great airline. The only one to make a profit last year.<BR>They do NOT participate in the fee-based airlines reservations computer systems, but you CAN access their fare easily at their own site www.iflyswa.com, or on www.sidestep.com (for pc but not for MAC) and on www.qixo.com, which searches over 20 diferent travel sites for the best fares.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 03:17 PM
xxx

Sorry to say but SW does not serve meals on their flights. But to me that is not a big deal. And for those stating that SW is not a good airline...they are the only major airline that did not layoff any employees because of the 9/11 tragedy! They must be doing something right!

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 11:05 AM
vicki

I fly Southwest whenever I can and find them to be as good as any of the other airlines I've been on. I would also like to note that after searching the so-called discount ticket sites including hotwire I have gone onto the Southwest website and gotten a cheaper ticket every time.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Joyce

No airline serves meals on most flights anymore. Southwest has the best Safety Record in the Industry.<BR>Air Tran is another favorite of mine.<BR>I book them for my clients whenever possible.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 08:38 PM
gary

I read yesterday in the Sunday travel section that Southwest is the only airline that does not add a fuel surcharge to their ticket prices. As mentioned above, they are the only airline to make a profit and the only airline not to lay off after Sept 11. They must be doing something right. Why don't the other airlines take notice?