London to Hong Kong - C class but cheap. Help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to HK on Nov 3rd and returning on 6th. Want to do it Business Class and cheap. I do not mind a stop or change of plane.

As far as I can see options are Qatar Airways, Emarites or the budget Oasis. Comfort is the 1st priority. Any one opinions of these airlines on this route or tips for alternatives in the same price bracket.
Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM

You'll almost certainly fail to match Oasis on price, and the sooner you book the more loopily low that price will be.

Personally, I can't see how you can use the terms 'comfort' and 'getting up in the middle of the night somewhere in the Gulf to get off the plane, hang around an airport, go through security, get back on the plane and go throgh all the tedium of trying to get back to sleep again' in the same sentence, but...

Oasis gives you access to a lounge at either end (Servisair here: the one run by the Chinese government at the other: lots of nibbles and showers in HK, but not exactly pampering luxury). Amazing amount of legroom on the plane (book the seats at the front of the downstairs cabin and you could practically have a football match in your space), slightly old-fashioned seats (they go to about 20 degress above flat) and rather skinny blanket. Food OK (the Cantonese choices were about up to London Chinatown noodle bar standard) but not flash. Bags of booze. Crap films (wall to wall junk you've never heard of, starring those Americans you see on the cover of American supermarket magazines). Nice staff. Outbound checkin closes 60 mins prior even in business. After that the staff just disappear, and you're shafted.

You don't get FastTrack leaving Gatwick, but at 1930 you don't need it. 10 mins from arriving at Gatwick outbound to sitting in the lounge: 5 mins from lounge to gate. Checkin going home can be a bit fiddly, because if you check your bags in at the airport, you have to go to a different teminal. But if you check your bags at the Airport Express terminal in town, that doesn't matter.

My verdict: Business Class designed for people spending their own money. If you're happy squandering someone else's to prop up your ego, need a bunch of toys and want Moulton Brown toiletries, go Virgin.

Incidentally, Air NZ now do the route, and may be offering specials.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. By comfort i meant on the plane seat wise as i am a big guy.

I dont mind a transit stop for 2 hours as i will not have to go through security and can use the lounge as well as stretch my legs.

I did look at NZ and they are a touch more expensive. Have read very good reviews on Qatar that it is better than Emirates.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM

THe Oasis seats are fine width and lengthwise: it's just they don't go flat.

The reason I won't change eastbound is that you can't fly to Hong King except overnight. Coming back, though, there are lots of daytime flights that let you check your bags in Kowloon or Central round about half seven - eightish in the morning, change somewhere civilised in the Gulf and get to London about eightish at night. And - if you haven't got a tricky onward journey in England - that can be the most comfortable way to do it.

Since Oasis often don't charge exttra for one-way trips but only come back overnight, I'd personaly explore going out on Oasis and coming back on a Gulf-based airline (preferably one that serves refreshments the Prophet wouldn't approve of). Try www.nonrev.net for other exotic routes - but I don't think, even in Business, I'd want to transit in Moscow.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.Have booked 2 return Business Class tickets - out on 2nd November back on 6th November LGW - HK for an amazing £1580 for the 2!!!
But one get one free offer fantastic.

BA wanted £4910 for the same dates.

So we dont get a flat bed so what at these fares, the seat pitch is 60 and the food and booze is free.