Lipstick - allowed as carry on, or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lipstick is not a liquid or a gel; yet yesterday I heard recordings of airport screeners telling folks that they could not bring on "anything that goes on your face."

Is lipstick allowed as a carry on, or not?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM

One of the reporters on this mornings TV......check EVERYTHING......The TSA is in no mood to split hairs.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I've read stories of flyers having to abandon lipstick and deodorants, as well as perfumes and hair gels.

I think we are in a period where general instructions have been issued, but it is up to the individual screeners to decide the nitty gritty, so one can anticipate different results from different screeners.

As I age, I become more and more forgetful, so I bought a stamped padded envelope, addressed to my home, big enough to hold my treasured Swiss army knife, knowing that eventually I would forget to transfer it to my checked luggage. While I know that TSA is supposed to seize such items, I hope to be able to beg and plead my way into having them mail the knife in my envelope. With these new procedures, I think I need a much bigger envelope.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:30 AM

NO,

and please, let's not start a new thread about every little item. There are other threads with links to the official TSA site......
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:30 AM

ClevelendBrown, you reminded me of my friend who was traveling in China(I think it was China) with the little Swiss Army knife I had given her one Christmas. She forgot to put it in her checked luggage & it was confiscated.

After she finished with the inspection she discovered the knives being sold in the airport shops after the security check.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I flew yesterday and all lipsticks, lipglosses, mascaras and other gels were confiscated.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I know lipstick/chapstick may seem like an amenity to some, but believe it or not many women are pretty much addicted to it–very uncomfortable to go without.

I'm in New Zealand and need to fly back to California next week (12+ hours). Since I'm one of those who would go nuts w/out something for the lips, I'm going to try rolling some qtips in chapstick and storing them in a plastic bag. Hopefully that will be acceptable.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Lipsticks, chapstick, lip gloss...all were taken.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

I ran into a friend who flew from Dallas to Austin and back yesterday on Southwest. Her lipstick sailed through; her husband flew in from Phoenix and had his chapstick taken.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM

phyl, I am right there with you. I'm also addicted to Chapstick. Airplane cabins are so dry that without it for 4 hours, my lips will crack!

I'm also mad that they are starting to question medications, too. I will NOT put my medications in checked baggage!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I've read that meds are okay as long as they're in labeled prescription bottles. I think the airlines would be in a world of hurt if they couldn't allow those on board. Maybe it's OTC that they're questioning? In which case...take the Dramamine before security LOL!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Phylgardner....after you fly please post again. I am very interested in knowing if the q-tips worked for you.

I use blistex "herbal answer", it's like chapstick, very comforting, and I consider it a necessity. I'm assuming that it is vulnerable to the new TSA rules and might be taken from me next time I fly.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
OT

Tomorrow I am flying Singapore airlines from Manchester to Singapore. I will stick to the instuctions issued and not discuss and go but please, please...

I will carry travel documents, passports, my purse, my old pair of specs (without it's case), in a transparent drawstring bag (saved from the Virgin Atlantic economy class)

I have to manage without my Evian spray, moisturiser, hand cream, lipstick, the book I had planned to read,

lipstick is not listed as allowed carry on,

thankfully I had my period last week, so will not be embarassed by displaying my tampons in the clear plastic bag (boxes not allowed).

I'll manage, and will be able to buy a book and magasines after the security point,

which just made me wonder, is the CLarins shop open?
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM

This is such a serious subject it would be inappropriate to make jokes about it, I suppose, so I won't ask about breast implants: they are cosmetic and made of gel, but I suppose they are not something that "goes on your face", so I also won't mention cheek and chin implants that are cosmetic, are made of gel, and DO go on your face.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM

One silver lining here is that people will not be able to "refresh" their overload of perfume, cologne, or aftershave while in flight.

On the other hand, some may feel compelled to double the dose before they check in. Too bad the fragrances don't trip security detection machines, too.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:29 PM

My elderly Aunt flew from Calgary to Winnipeg and they took her lipstick. Apparently she could pay a $3.00 fee and have it returned to her upon arrival home, but she didn't bother.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:02 PM

What about glasses? Glasses go on your face. Sorry, this is off-topic maybe I should start a new thread?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM

I wonder who is the big political contributor to the ruling party after my experience with TSA on Sunday evening?

Had a very expensive 3.5 bottle(.5 over the limit) of cologne in the plastic bag along with the 2-3 oz. containers of all the other stuff a man needs. The colgne was about 1/3 full and it was very much visible.

I was told by the ANC TSA that I can't take it with me, but it was ok with the TPA TSA few days earlier, just because it was 1/3 full.

Anyways, and this was new to me, they offered a shipping service for the item. I had to provide my CC# or give them cash and fill out a form, but for $7.50 (insurance was another $1.50 and I declined) the service will ship stuff that's confiscated by TSA.

Feel very secure......

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:48 AM

If the chapstick is in a plastic cover, keep it in your pocket. The metal detector won't pick it up. It worked for me.

If your lipstick is in a metal container, it could be a problem.

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM

wally, would you happen to know if the metal cap on one of those mini-size airline whiskey bottles sets off the metal detector? if not, then a guy could put some cologne in an empty one of those, put it in his pocket and sure to be smelling good when he reaches his final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -