Reload this Page >

Let's Add to the new rule about checked luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:18 AM
sandi

It would seem to me, if they decide to open your bag and thrash thru it, they should, in addition to leaving a note that it has been opened, leave a stamp saying where it was opened, and by whom (which handler) so that if anything goes missing, one can at least begin to trace it. My husband's bad was opened somewhere on our last trip (MIami, I think), then resealed with a plastic tie. Then we had to look at everything and try to remember what was originally put in this bag. Maybe we will have to itemize in future. GeeZ. They are going to make it so difficult that it will be almost too much trouble soon. If they would use a little common sense, instead of just applying more arbitrary rules,they might actually enhance security. Anyone looking at our passports,for example, could see that we travel extensively and have never yet been a source of concern to anyone--our picture matches our face, we are US cizens, my husband is a respected professional in a well known company, we have no arrest record, not even a single traffic ticket. This should all be in some data base somewhere, so Random searches are truly a waste of time and money...would make better sense to profile--even if it is a dirty word. Like people on one way tickets, people of middle east origin on visas, single men travelling alone, etc. People who fit the profile....of the terrorists. They do this in Israel, and it is very effective.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Penny

Can't agree more. If they are going to snoop thru it, they should at least identify themselves so there is a trace. It makes me nervous to see our freedoms expire one by one.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:05 AM
flyinggolfer

On the last two trips I've taken to the west coast my golf travel bag has been opened and inspected. Nothing ever seems to be out of place, but it was easy to tell the bag had been searched. In order to secure the side pockets etc..., I use the paper/wire twisties that come with plastic bags. On each occasion the ties were replaced, but they were never twisted closed more than one turn. I always give them three or four good turns. I really don't mind security taking a peek, but if they start taking things out and putting them back, that's another issue. They could just as easily xray or scan the suspect bag w/o disturbing the contents.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:45 AM
irony

I wonder if this means they'll stop asking if your bags have been under your control at all times? And where is the liability if DEA drug sniffing dogs find something on your bag that makes them jiggy? Who can prove you did/did not put that smear of coke powder on the bag?<BR>Who's checking the security people who are rooting anround in your bags, breaking locks and so on? And once the lock is broken, who keeps an eye on your bag as it travels around the airport, in and out of your plane, and through the baggage handling routine at your destination aitport?<BR><BR>Does &quot;I don't know how that got in there&quot; get you off the hook? Ha!!! You already know the answer to that.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Christiana

I too am concerned about my baggage being ransacked. I understand it's all for security but really! If they allowed people to pass through security with their checked luggage and then searched it, then checked the bags, imagaine -- we wouldn't have to worry about leaving our bags unlocked. I went to Europe last November and didn't have to leave my bags unlocked. What's the point of checking bags if you don't know someone can get into it and steal something? I'm making a trip to AZ in March and I am seriously considering just taking carry-on luggage and buying anything I need in AZ! I'll be staying with friends so it's not like I'll need anything much, but I don't fancy wearing the same clothes for two weeks straight, even with washing. Call me a spoiled American but I think within my own country I should be able to lock my luggage if I want to without worrying about the locks being broken or depending on flimsy plastic ties.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:01 PM
Robbie

Great idea noted by the above posters. It should be a requirement that the bag inspector's leave a signed and dated signature stating each time a bag has been inspected. This would help stop the looting. Making a list of the contents of your luggage is a must.<BR><BR> Peace, Robbie

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:44 PM
COairBoy

That's why I only take a carry on.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:03 PM
george

It's not the TSA inspectors we have to worry about, it's the airline's baggage handlers. With all the unlocked baggage lying around they won't be needing a raise this year.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:56 AM
sandi

Still don't understand why they must 'turn their backs' to you while they rummage through your stuff?? and why are you not allowed to stand by and watch them. Seems like more goverment 'rules' intended to make us think they are efficient, but will, in the end, lead to lots of law suits if stuff goes missing. why can't we 'watch' for heck sake???

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call me paranoid but.....<BR><BR>I don't like people touching my clean clothes, especially people who touched other peoples' clothes.<BR><BR>I think that hand checking of luggage will become the biggest 'shopping' spree ever.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:07 PM

When my carry on bags were searched - random search at the gate - the TSA employees let me watch. In fact, they made sure I was watching as they went through my purse.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:52 AM

dilbert, I think you need to step out of your bubble every once and a while.<BR><BR>Although I understand the importance of screening checked bags, I agree that the screeners should leave their information such as time, name, last name, maiden name, spouse's first name, address, social security number, favorite food while abroad that they can't get at home, favorite NYC lodging for couples, Disney lodging information, and tipping preference.<BR>That way we can track them down.