Layover time question

Search

Layover time question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover time question

I am booking a flight on Delta for a trip on May 31st, Seattle to Newark.

I would like to take Delta 1929 which leaves Seattle at 1:15 and has a layover in Atlanta for 50 mins. Is 50 minutes enough time for us to transfer to our connecting flight to Newark? I have never flown into Atlanta before so Im unfamiliar with the airport layout. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 09:21 PM

That could be doable but tight or it could be fine, depending on whether or not you need to change terminals. But if you are connecting from one Delta flight to another on the same ticket you would be fine anyway, as if you missed the connection becasue of a late arriving inbound (but not becasue you decided to stop and visit the airport shops!)you would just be rebooked on the next available flight.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Why don't you look at the site for the airport and see for yourself http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passenger/Terminal/
Hartsfied-Jackson is an efficient operation but it is also one of the biggest, busiest airports in the world. The detailed maps on the site can be printed out which might be useful.
The gloomy fact is that you do not have 50 minutes. Airlines increasingly insist that passengers be seated inside the departing plane a half hour early, or more. They could be more flexible when the connection is for their own airplanes on domestic routes but still you will want to move as fast as you can. And keep your fingers crossed for your checked luggage, which you cannot do anything to speed up.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Southam - ATL is indeed a big, busy place but which airlines "<i> insist that passengers be seated inside the departing plane a half hour early, or more</i>"? Think you may be confusing this with the cutoff time for checking in (if not already done online) or checking bags. For example, Delta's web site states:
"<i>You must be <u>checked in at least 30 minutes</u> before your scheduled departure time. Additionally, you are required to be <u>at the gate and ready to board at least 15 minutes</u> before your scheduled departure time</i>"
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 04:34 PM

On an international flight, not from Atlanta, Delta left me behind even though I was at (well, near) the gate within that 15-minute limit you suggest. I suspect the practice varies depending on the airport and the destination.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I have my kids with me so I think I will need to find a new flight. We might not make the 50 minute transfer!
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 07:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are several nonstops daily to EWR on Alaska and United. Why go through the rigamarole of a transfer?