Layover in PHL question

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 02:59 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover in PHL question

Hi! We are flying outbound Detroit - Philly- Barcelona. When we arrive in Philly do we need to recheck bags or go through any additional security as we will be getting on an international flight? Or do we simply just have to make it to the gate we depart to Barcelona from?
annmariestieve0388 is offline  
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:45 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Presuming this trip is on a single ticket, you will simply check your bags at origin in Detroit all the way through to Barcelona. In terms of security, if you mean TSA screening, you would only need to do that in Philly if your connecting flight requires you to leave the secure area to get to the departure gate. What airline are you flying?
Seamus is offline  
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 01:37 AM
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Presuming this trip is on a single ticket, you will simply check your bags at origin in Detroit all the way through to Barcelona. In terms of security, if you mean TSA screening, you would only need to do that in Philly if your connecting flight requires you to leave the secure area to get to the departure gate. What airline are you flying?
we are flying American Airlines- I believe it says that the DTW-PHL is operated by PSA airlines as American eagle
annmariestieve0388 is offline  
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 01:57 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...a-phl-airport/

Hope this helps some.
joannyc is offline  
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:06 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, you'll check in your luggage at Detroit all the way through to BCN. And based on the info posted by joannyc you will be able to get to your international departure at PHL without having to leave the secure area, so no additional TSA screening.
Happy travels!
Seamus is offline  
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 08:12 AM
  #6  
P_M
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,871
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Seamus. I can't remember ever coming back into the US and not having to re-clear security, even in Philadelphia on a single ticket. Of course I never had to re-check bags, but I thought we always have to clear TSA if we're coming from another country. Has your experience been different?
P_M is online now  
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 08:59 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 69,935
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M View Post
Hello Seamus. I can't remember ever coming back into the US and not having to re-clear security, even in Philadelphia on a single ticket. Of course I never had to re-check bags, but I thought we always have to clear TSA if we're coming from another country. Has your experience been different?
Not sure I understand your question -- the OP is asking about traveling to Europe, not entering the US.

As for their return flights -- yes, they will have to clear immigration, collect/re-drop bags, and clear security (except for a few places like Ireland and some Canadian airports where they do all the immigration/customs stuff before boarding a US-bound flight)
janisj is offline  
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 12:42 PM
  #8  
P_M
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,871
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right janis, my brain was in dyslexia mode this morning as I read it as inbound. DUH!! Thanks.
P_M is online now  
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 04:34 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 69,935
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M View Post
You're right janis, my brain was in dyslexia mode this morning as I read it as inbound. DUH!! Thanks.
Me too . . . had to read the OP and your question maybe 3X each to figure out if I had it right way around . . .
janisj is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
P_M
Air Travel
5
Jul 24th, 2016 11:02 AM
wekewoody
Air Travel
9
Jul 26th, 2013 06:27 AM
Kristina
Air Travel
8
Jan 21st, 2009 06:30 AM
dannyyoung
United States
5
May 11th, 2004 03:24 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information