Search

LAX-LGB-SNA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX-LGB-SNA

I got on the 405 freeway today at about 4:15 PM bound for LAX. I was happy that I was going to LAX instead of SNA because the freeway south was barely moving and the traffic report said it was backed up for quite a way south into Orange County.

Got on at Lakewood Blvd which would be the exit that you would take to get to LGB. Oh, how I wish I could use that airport more. When you get on the freeway there you get a good view of the LGB runways just before a sign that tells you how long the ride to LAX is. Luckily it said 20 minutes.

Got to the airport parking Lot C and it was CLOSED, full of cars! For once I was way ahead of time but it was easy to find a spot in one of the nearby lots.

At 5PM there was not much of a line thru security at Terminal 1. Sounds like US is having 30 minute delays. So am enjoying the USAir Club where I saw George Burns a long time ago. Haven't been here for 15 years probably.

If you are planning to use Lot C at LAX tonight, or tomorrow morning, maybe even tomorrow night, you might need a backup plan.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM

So tell me mrwunrfl, if you had needed to go to SNA at that time which route would you have taken with the 405 bogged down? I want to know.

I visited your town last week and had a ball. Ate at Walt's Wharf, walked the pier, Main St etc. Did a little shopping. Played around at the beach. Which section of SB do you live in?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM

The alternate routes to SNA from LGB/north OC? Probably take the 22 east to the 5 south to the 55 south, then the airport is at the 55-405 intersection. Of course, the 22 is often a parking lot during Rush Hour too.

If you want to avoid the freeways entirely.... From the coast, take PCH to Warner, then Warner east to Bristol, then maybe Bristol south to Baker, then Baker east to Red Hill, then Red Hill north to the airport (or is it south?)....

That's a tough one-- and it takes a good twenty minutes more than if you have a moving 405 (it's a 20-minute drive from LGB most days).
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Glad to hear you had a good time in Seal Beach! I live in old town SB and could walk to Walt's Wharf in under a minute. When there is no breeze coming in from the ocean I get a good whiff of what is cooking at O'Malley's.

rjw described the route that I think the shared-ride van took me when I went to SNA back in April. We had to make one stop in HB, but I think it was pretty much enroute. I am still learning my way around here and the only option I know of is to take Westminster (instead of SB Blvd) to the 405. I wouldn't try the 22/etc.

But getting to LAX is really not that big of a deal. Maybe because I am using it on weekends and haven't had any bad luck. The backup on 405 south last Friday was, I think, due to some kind of a bad accident down in southern OC. SNA just doesn't have a geographical advantage for me.

Still, even if there was a big backup on the 405 I could still use the ?05 (Harbor Fwy) or 605 to go north and then 105 or surface streets west to LAX.

LAX looks like it is a problem if you were dropping off or picking up somebody. I get on the 105 to the lax exit and then get in the leftmost lane thru the tunnel on the PCH under the runway. The right lanes jam up with cars going up to the LAX horseshoe, but I cruse on past Century and (usually) park in Lot C. The shuttle from the lot to the terminals has an easy back route to take.

I can get from SB to a gate in terminal 7 at LAX in an hour, including parking at Lot C. Parking at LAX is cheaper than SNA. The big thing is that airfares are significantly lower at LAX than SNA.

Still, I would prefer to use LGB and make a connection than to use LAX or SNA on a nonstop.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:01 PM

This is cool. In early August we stayed at Sunset Beach for a few days and we had dinner at Walt's one night. We sat in the upstairs room. Parking by Walt's was easy, the food was great.

Matter of fact I read posts by both you local guys giving driving directions and I paid attention. We flew into Long Beach and went through the traffic circle on 1, passed Seal Beach and right into Sunset Beach. I too would would like to learn all the shortcuts on the side streets when the freeways are to packed.

We found a nice Italian restaurant in Huntington Beach quite by acident. "Baci", on Beach Blvd near Garfield Ave. I highly recommed Baci. We had seafood and it was out of this world. I think they are only open for dinner. This is a REAL italian place.

We did not see too much of Seal Beach other than Walt's Wharf restaurant. Next time we have to explore more. Both you guys do a great job posting driving tips. Keep up the good work.

Booth