Search

KLM OR BA/QUANTAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLM OR BA/QUANTAS

Hi have got the choice of flying from manchester to singapore with either KLM,or ba/quantas ,which is the best airline to pick. Both are about the same price
Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM

The best service from MAN-SIN is by Singapore Airlines. The service is direct and usually comparable to the value of BA et al.

Emirtates would also be an attractive option from MAN.

But if the 2 options you list are the only ones you will consider then I would lean towards BA if you can get the whole flight on their aircraft as in terms of in-flight service, they are definitely ahead of Qantas and KLM. (Though neither of those 2 are bad airlines at all.)

You should also consider your transit journey. I have always found LHR to be fairly straightforward, but some people seem to have trouble navigating and reading clearly marked signs and bitch endlessly about it. Schiphol at AMS is easier to navigate if you are easily disorientated.

In essence, I would choose the schedule that suits you best. If you are not collecting Frequent Flyer Miles and flying in economy, the overall difference will be negligible.

I would lean towards the BA/QF flight as their schedules are slightly better than KLM.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM

I wouldn't recommend Emirates if you're flying economy. The DXB-SIN leg is on a 777, and Emirates is one of only two airlines I know of that put 10-abreast sitting in their 777, vs 9-abreast for all others. [The other is China Southern.]

DXB-SIN is 7+ hours, and you don't want to be in an extra narrow seat for that flight.

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 10:04 AM

If you can fly direct with Singapore Airlines that's the best, if Emirates are using the A-330's on manchester fine but as already said the 10 across seating on Emirates is tight ( e.g Singapore Airlines, malaysian, Cathay etc etc all have 9 seats across on 777s).
If though your only choice would be KLM or BA/Qantas I would say go for KLM, in my opinion far better than those other 2
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM

SAS (Scandinavian), Lufthansa and Air France also options. Air France long-haul 777's to Asia are very comfortable and the service is good.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 10:18 AM

I believe KLM uses 747-400Ms for its AMS-SIN service, and they don't have individual screens in coach, while QF's 744 do.

From my brief encounter with both airlines, I think QF's service is marginally better.

If scheduling is not a problem, I'll take the BA/QF connection; but of course, that means transitting in LHR...