Search

LAX-BKK: AAdvantage mileage questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX-BKK: AAdvantage mileage questions

AAFF and other posters,

Will I earn AAdvantage miles if I buy CX Economy Restricted rt ticket LAX-BKK?

When I checked the same ticket on AA.com (Economy with restrictions), I got codeshare flights with Japan Airlines. The segments do not display AAdvantage base miles earned, so I assume that I won't earn miles when flying them. Is that assumption correct?

Thank you very much for your help! I love these forums. As a novice traveler, I really learned a lot from the wealth of experience here. Many many thanks!

Oanh
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:24 PM

As long as you book a codeshare flights with AA flight #, you will get full mileage plus any status bonuses.

The reason the JAL flights do not show miles on AA.com, is because each airline is just a little different in calculating the mileage.

To get and idea of how many miles you will get go to this site:

<b>http://gc.kls2.com/</b>

insert LAX-NRT-BKK into PATHS and click the <i>Display Map</i> button.

VERY IMPORTANT - It has to be a codeshare with AA flight number(operated by JAL) to get the full miles. If you get AA to NRT and JAL to BKK, then you will only get 70% of non-status miles for the NRT-BKK segment.

The downside to codeshares is that if you buy economy, you can't upgrade the JAL segment with miles or VIPs. You will end up sitting in economy, regardless if you upgraded the AA segment with miles or VIPs.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:29 PM

Don't forget to sign-up for the AA challenge. The explanation here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...18&amp;start=0

about 1/2 way down the thread.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:36 PM

I'm sorry, I missed the CX part.

No, you will not get AA miles on the cheapest economy CX fares. You will get 100% mileage plus any status miles if you book into H fare or better Usually it means about $100 or so above the cheapest CX fares. You would need to call CX and do it over the phone as there is no way to pick a fare class on the internet.
Also, the CX Deals of the Month Do Not earn miles.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Dear AAFF,

Thank you so much for the info. I think I'll go with the ticket on AA.com, since that's the sure way to get 100% accrual mileage (all the segments have AA flight numbers).

I don't think I can sign up for the AA challenge because my travel dates are 5/29 to 9/10, way too long to complete the challenge. I am doing a summer internship in BKK so the dates are fixed.

However, since I already flew quite a bit this year, I currently have 27,545 YTD qualifying miles. I think I'll just try to accummulate miles the regular way between now and the end of the year. I guess I have to find excuses to fly home (across the country) once or twice more to get to 50K

Once again, thank you very much for the advice.

Oanh
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Looks like you've decided to book via AA, but for future reference CX Leverage typically shows the H fares which do earn you the full AA miles as well as any bonus based on your elite status. Just be sure to check the fare details for fare class.

www.cxleverage.com
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Final thought.

I do love CX. It's one of the best <b>IF</b> you are able to fly upfront. Unfortunately in Y, CX is not that great. The service is ok, but seating is tight. Recently I flew 4 long segments on CX, fortunately all in F. On one of the segments I asked the FA if it was ok for me to take a walk all the way to the back of the plane. I was really interested as to how long this plane is. It was the A340-600 - the loooongest plane in the world. Anyway, it was very long, but the point I'm trying to make is that I also saw the economy. I felt sorry for those folks back there. Don't forget, we're talking about 12-15 hour flights, depending on the direction and few other things. The service seemed ok back there, but you have to realize that there were about 250 people sitting in Y, so as nice as the FAs were it was still Y service. I'm not sure if I would be willing to give up comfort, for what maybe just a notch better service over AA.
If I will or was fly(ing) that route in Y, I would definitely pick AA to NRT and connect on CX or JAL to HKG. It would add couple of hours(basicaly the connection time, as the flight times are almost identical), but the comfort would be worth it. Just my opinion and you don't have to agree.