Is this enough time at EWR?

Jun 28th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Is this enough time at EWR?

I'm coming from CDG to EWR and connecting to SFO and have 1 hour 20 minutes between flights at EWR. Is this enough time to make it through customs and on to my next flight considering the plane is on time arrival?
This is on UAL.
Thanks
Jun 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM

If your flight is on-time 1:20 should be enough time to clear Immigration, Customs and reclear the TSA checkpoint BUT that assumes your inbound flight lands on-time. Newark is notorious for Air Traffic delays and arriving flights are often put in holding patterns that can last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. If that happens to your flight all bets are off.

As with all these types of questions no one can give you any assurances. other than to say it may r ma not be enough time. If the airport gods are with you all will be well but there's always Murphy's Law that might come into play. Good Luck!
Jun 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM

It takes about an hour from door open on first flight to get to gate on 2nd, assuming US citizen or resident. I generally hate any such connection under 90 min.
Jun 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I guess it's on United if I don't make it. Have the SFO connect then on to. HNL
Jun 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM

If your flight is late coming into EWR, don't just wait and see. Call UA ASAP and have them rebook you on ANY later connections to HNL, whether it's via SFO or LAX. [The non-stops from other gateways to HNL leave earlier, so you won't make those either - only SFO and LAX left.]
Jun 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks rkkwan. I've got a 12 hour layover in SFO so I'm not too worried about that one but will call ASAP just in case.
Jun 30th, 2012, 04:02 AM

NO times 100. Trust me, I fly in and out of the three NYC airports all the time, and EWR is the nastiest of the three when it comes to Border Patrol. If your flight from De Gaulle is delayed by even a few minutes and you're not on a business class ticket, you're not making the flight to San Francisco. The people at Newark are so unfriendly to passengers connecting through- almost as if they have a grudge on international passengers. I once saw a person trying to ask the agent if he could step in front of the line so he could make his hour-long connection--- the lady called the police to "thoroughly" inspect him, and he ended up missing his flight even though he "got what he wanted". Sorry to be so blunt about it, but if you're going to go through customs at Newark, you're going to need a MINIMUM of 1:45 just to make it back to the terminal.

The good news is that one of United Airlines's hubs is San Francisco. A flight leaves EWR to go to SFO no less than every hour and a half. I recommend you call United immediately and get put on the next flight to SFO. Your connection will most likely be stretched to 2 and a half hours (which you will definitely need), and you can get to San Francisco just fine.

I also recommend that if you're traveling United all the way to Honolulu, you might consider connecting somewhere else from Newark. United flies to Honolulu from O'Hare, Dulles, San francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Houston--- and if your flight from De Gaulle somehow gets in before 9:00am, there's a nonstop from Newark to Honolulu. My point is that United has plenty of connections to Honolulu, so there's no reason to make such a tight connection in Newark, only to have to wait ANOTHER 12 hours in SFO. Personally, I recommend finding a connection through Denver; I love the airport's atmosphere, and you can find a lot of good places to eat and do things.
Jun 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM

I've entered the U.S. plenty of times at EWR on CO, through INS at either Terminal B or C, and it's really no worse than other entry points. I've always made it to my gate in an hour; the bigger hassle usually is reclearing security.

But I agree with the points about connecting to HNL.