Is there a potential penalty?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found a reasonable airfare to Amsterdam on Delta. Delta is offering double miles for the specific flight. The route is Chicago/Detroit/Amsterdam, return Amsterdam/Detroit/Chicago. The fare from Detroit is $200 more per person (and without the double miles). We are in Detroit. Considering taking the train to Chicago and on to O'Hare for the trip over and returning and getting off in Detroit.. We fly carry-on so luggage wouldn't be a problem. What might be a problem?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:58 PM

ARGGGHHH I wish there was a thread for "newbies" on airtravel.

IF you MISS the first leg of a multi stop trip THE REST OF THE TRIP WILL BE CANCELLED>

And if you want to earn the miles, don't get off at Detroit on the way back either.

There's details within all this if you want to try to chance it on the return but for double miles I wouldn't.

And if you skip the ORD-DET leg your flight will be cancelled.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:08 PM

You won't earn miles or bonus for the DET->ORD leg, but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem for a one-time thing. And you can still check bags for the return. At DET, you'll need to claim bags before going through customs anyways.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:31 PM

rkkwan is usually correct but I would remind hm that the OP is considering doing this for both legs....AND if the OP is looking for the double miles they may not get them if they get off in DET, if the special is for an ORD RT
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM

No, the OP is taking the train to ORD to start his journey.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM

got it thanks

some days I should just not post
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 04:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mztery: Sure you should

I mis-read it the first time though.

Lukehead: BUT I do see on possible fly in the ointment -- what if your bag is gate checked in A'dam?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM

Even if the bag is gate-checked at AMS, the OP still has to claim it in Detroit for customs, because that's the first port of entry in the U.S. He will see the bag there no matter what.

Would Delta not grant any of the miles (or maybe not the promo double miles) if the entire itinerary is not completed as booked?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM

Jeff - Never heard that happening.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 08:36 AM

Hopefully of zero relevance for OP, but I recently found out that my usual airline (Lufthansa) has changed their T&C.
If you deviate from the originally booked schedule, even on your return (legs), the whole trip gets recalculated based upon your actual travels. And the pax gets charged for the difference. Other airlines are still more relaxed if you don't use all the return/inbound tickets (but not for deviations on the outbound flight(s)).
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 09:12 AM

I think virtually all airlines have a provision allowing them to recalculate the fare when you vary from your purchased itinerary. However, that is extra work for them that would upset some customers, so I think it is almost never actually done. Years ago when some travel agencies (and corporate travel offices) did this on an industrial scale, some airlines enforced those provisions. But travel agencies are largely out of the picture now and I have not known an independent flier to have been penalized in many years.

On the other hand, when you miss a leg in your itinerary, it is easy and routine for them to cancel the balance of the itinerary; a computer can do that at virtually no cost to the airline.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM

I wouldn't worry about he fare so much as that the OP specified the trip was for double miles out of ORD. So it's entirely possible he will NOT get the double miles if he offloads in DET. There's plenty of documentation on FT and other places of that happening.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM

Seriously? "Plenty of documentation"? Please give link to just a single one and I'll shut up.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM

Here's the deal... If you don't fly to ORD... no double miles for that entire segment. You will get them on the flight over but not back.

And I speak from expereince. I did this on Delta with a BNA special. I got off in Atlanta. I did NOT get the double miles for the return since the computer did NOT ever see a BNA flight.

(Now does anyone think rkkwan will REALLY shut up )
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM

Well, CarolA, thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'm understand this. If the OP's bonus is specific for ORD originated flights and does not include DTW, then you guys are correct that the OP may not get the bonus for the return.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM

re rkkwan's quote

Seriously? "Plenty of documentation"? Please give link to just a single one and I'll shut up.

I don't know you like others do but i have been on FT for over 10 years and over the years esp the past 2-3 seen many threads in the airline fora about missing double miles for things like flying into co terminals , AND leaving off the last segment. I don't have time or energy to look up those threads and don't really care if you don't believe me.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM

Okay, I was wrong, and I now understand the situation when the double points are targeted towards specific routes or terminals (which may or may not apply to the OP). My mistake.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

OK - this is the deal/route:

Double miles offered on selected Delta flights. The one being considered is ORD/DTW/AMS and then reversed. I live in Detroit. I checked the same DTW/AMS flights (omitting ORD) and they are $200 more per person. One way train fare to Chicago and ORD is app $37/person. Schedule allows more than adequate time, on the same day, to do the train thing. The $326 savings looks appealing - covers a couple extra days in Amsterdam. The double miles are appealing to add to the collection.

Makes sense that the double miles would not be granted for the return because getting off in Detroit means we're not holding up our end of the deal. Sorry to have caused angst to some responders but thanx for the discussion re various scenarios. Looks like we might drive both ways, spend a night with a friend, park the car with them and --- that's another situation, don't worry we'll figure it out on our own.