Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Is it true - the liquid ban will be gradually abolished?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my understanding of the post on the US board:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35164403
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Faina, I didn't read the whole thread but I suspect if they ease up on the liquids, something else will pique their interest.

I'm still waiting for the day we have to parade through screening in our undies.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:49 AM

This is fasntasyland.

You might find some airports install the appropriate technology. But neither the installation, nor the speed with which it happens, are things some pen-pushing bureaucrat can control.

Nor can an American public servant predict decisions taken by the world's governments. All the minion quoted in the article has any real knowledge of is what technology is available and what his agency's view of it is - for his, rather small, patch of the world's aviation system.

Simple truth is: liquids can be used to mask plane-destroying explosives, and there are people around the place who want to use them. Restrictions on liquid carry-ons will go only when EVERY airport has succeeded in installing machines or processes 99.999% reliable at detecting these criminals
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

"I'm still waiting for the day we have to parade through screening in our undies." SFO GTG anyone

The photos will attract the most views ever!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:43 AM

<i>Nor can an American public servant predict decisions taken by the world's governments.</i>,

you do know that we do have an extensive domestic airline network, or don't you?

Take it easy chief, it's not about you all the time......
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
P_M

&quot;I'm still waiting for the day we have to parade through screening in our undies&quot;

When that happens I will buy Victoria's Secret stock, as everyone will want to upgrade their underwear.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM

<i>When that happens I will buy Victoria's Secret stock, as everyone will want to upgrade their underwear. </i>,

I may apply for a flunkie TSA job then......
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM

The world is not unified in the liquid ban now. Within the last year I have taken a water bottle through security at several airports in South America. In the UK liquid explosive plot the liquid was not a masking agent but the explosive itself (at least that was the reported plan). There is very simple way to test perported beverege liquids. Simply have the passenger take a drink and watch for foaming at the mouth. By the way does anyone actually believe that any airport security would detect 99,999 out of every 100,000 attempts to get a bomb through?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM

Here you go.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_595851.html
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Gavin,

Although I have seen them allow water to go through security in Mexico and Costa Rica, they wouldn't allow it on the plane.

Looser rules than US domestic at security, but tougher at the plane.

Keith
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Kieth,

I think there are special rules for US bound flights. It was not an issue on flights to Toronto from Caracas and Santiago. I have not flown from South America to the US since liquids became an issue. My purpose was to point out to a previous poster that it is possible to have different standards for what can or cannot be taken on aircraft in different parts of the world.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM

We just flew between Orlando and Boston and did not have to put our liquid bags on the belt for either of the flts. We were able to leave them in the suitcases. Much easier!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM

But still the same size limits socialworker?

Keith
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM

According to my understanding, yes. You must be able to remove the bag for inspection if requested, so it is still supposed to be in the 1 qt ziploc bag and I presume that the 3 oz. limits are still in effect. However, not wrestling it out and back in to your suitcase was much better!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
J62

My experience is the same as sw's. For the last 10 or so trips (basically all this year) I haven't taken my ziploc out of my suitcase.

Perhaps the TSA finally figured out that the fancy machine with the conveyor belt was an x-ray machine, and that (assuming the Superman comics are correct) you can see inside things with x-rays.

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Even lifting the size restrictions would be a godsend.

The ziplock bag thing was always stupid anyway since it wasn't like a TSA agent could tell anything from your one-quart bag other than the fact you'd complied with the regulations.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM

&lt;&lt;But still the same size limits socialworker?&gt;&gt;

Yes. While taking off my shoes, jacket, emptying pockets, etc. I forgot to take the plastic bag out of my carryon on the last two flights and it passed without question.

However, on a recent flight my traveling companion had packed a large tube of toothpaste and a large tube of sunblock in her carryone suitcase and both were confiscated. She said she thought she'd put them in her checked bag -- both black about the same size.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I've made at least 8 trips this year (2 in October) and the security has had us take the liquids out of the suitcase in both directions.

Keith
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM

<b>Keith</b>,

officially the new policy won't start until late next year and should be in place everywhere by 2010.

What some people are reporting here has nothing to do with the new policy. They just got lucky. I did too couple of times. The TSA flunkies are not the brightest stars in the sky.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM

My experience has been that on about half the 16 flights I've flown this past year, I've had to take out the liquids. I've always kept them in the bag to be safe.

However, it still amuses me how obsessed they are with the liquids. A TSA agent once, as my carryon came out of the xray, went into my bag to find an icepack which was 8 oz. (forgot to take it out from roadtrip) while COMPLETELY IGNORING a pair of scissors left from the roadtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -