In Transit through NRT

Search

In Transit through NRT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Transit through NRT

We are flying MSP-NRT-HKG later this week. I read on Flyertalk that you need to go through security again once in NRT even if you are just an In Transit passenger. Is that true? I have not been In Transit via NRT since 9/11 so things must have changed. I don't remember doing security twice during my other recent Asian trips but maybe I have forgotten.

We have 90 minutes between flights and I am wondering if that will be enough time if we now have to reenter security (I heard the lines are long at Narita).

Thoughts?
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 07:39 AM

Yes, you will go through security. However, it is not the main security line used for people originating at NRT, you will go through a "special" line just for connecting passengers. Of course, the length of that line(s) will depend on the number of connecting passengers at the time, but that will most probably still be shorter than the main lines.

Assuming normal operations, 90 minutes is fine (we did it twice on NW/NW connections in September in about 45 minutes each total gate to gate).

Nowadays, all airports in the world (well, maybe there are a couple of random exceptions) require re-screening for international connecting passengers.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Good to know. I guess all our trips lately have been direct flights so we have not had to deal with this

Thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 08:26 AM

We went through in-transit security at NRT in January. As we approached the line, we became concerned about its length, becuase we had only a 95 minute connecting time. As we watched, an additional two screening stations opened and we went through in less than 5 minutes. In conversations at the bar in the Admirals Club, I was told this is typical of the security system and that screning time is not allowed to get too long.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Jeff

That is reassuring. My biggest concern is getting off the plane. We are traveling with our three young sons and it will be the middle of the night for them. I anticipate that they will be sound asleep and history has shown they DO NOT LIKE BEING WOKEN, even when on a plane...especially when on a plane. So, there will be tears and maybe even a tantrum. I assume we will be the last ones off the plane so we lose some time there.

I promised one of my 6 year old's sushi if he is a good boy and that should motivate him. I guess I will need to bring Star Wars legos in order to convince the other two. They are excellent travelers with the one exception that if they fall asleep, they prefer to stay that way and are not afraid to let us and everyone else know it.

Wish me luck!
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM

1. The lines can definitely be long, especially during summer season where there are lots of casual or first-time flyers. The reason those lines are long is that the Japanese security are too polite. They don't bark like TSA to tell you to do this and that. Instead, they bow and talk nicely to tell people. I am not joking, 100% serious.

2. You don't have to worry about connection time. DL runs a huge hub at NRT, and I'll say the majority of its passengers are connecting to somewhere else in Asia. Unless your inbound is already hours late, otherwise, they'll hold all connecting flights. Last thing they want is to send out their planes with empty seats while leaving dozens (if not hundreds) of their passengers at NRT.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance rkkwan. If they are sleepy and uncooperative, we will need to just wait until everyone is off before we go to battle. Glad to hear that we have a tiny bit of wiggle room.

They really are terrific except for the sleeping thing.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:00 PM

I've never tried it, but some here rave about a tiny sushi restaurant located in NRT somewhere around gate 37.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a 6 year old who loves sushi. So, we have promised him when we are "in Japan" on one of the legs of our trip, we will let him have sushi. The other two need Star Wars Legos to be motivated.

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM

TaiTai,

Because the leg from MSP-NRT is so long, there is a good chance your younger children will be awakening from a good night's sleep shortly before arrival.

A technique adopted by traveling companions several years ago seemed to work well in a similar situation. They let their kids unwrap, repsecitvely, a "My Little Pony" and a "GI Joe" just after breakfast. They had add-ons or accesseries with them, and told the kids they could unwrap those on the next plane, conditioned on their "helping" the adults get through security.

Perhaps because I am without kids of my own, I was impressed with the success of this system.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I have also noticed when connecting in NRT, that if an incoming flight is late, there are often agents waiting with signs for passengers to a specific connecting flight with waiting buses etc. to get them on the plane.