Iberia airlines London to Miami - changing at Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're booked to fly LHR to Miami via Madrid with Iberia. Since booking we've read some dire reports about Iberia but can't do anything about that now! And we've read some OK reports too so we'll stay positive!
My question is, how does the 'check-in' thing work? Do we get checked in to Miami at Heathrow and if so do we need to get there earlier than passengers who are just flying to Madrid, for extra security checks etc? Or do the security checks take place at Madrid? If so will we need to get our luggage (hope not as we only have about 75 mins between flights there)? Do we get our boarding cards for the Madrid to Miami bit when we check-in at Heathrow as Iberia's website says to go straight to your departure gate when you arrive for transfer flights.
Sorry to ask some (probably) obvious questions but we've never flown independently. It's bad enough having e-tickets instead of travel agent posh ones in a wallet!
Oh, and one other thing, my husband is travelling on an Australian passport, mine is British - will that make anything complicated?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:00 PM

I have no 1st hand experience with Madrid or Iberia, but I don't see how they can be much different from other European cities or airlines...

- In London, no difference if you're flying just to MAD or connecting to MIA. Same check-in procedure, same security checks as anybody else.

- Luggage is checked through to MIA. You don't need to pick them up in MAD for transitting.

- Don't know if Iberia can issue your boarding pass for the MAD-MIA flight in London or not. If not, just go to the departing gate and have it issued by the agent there, like what you've read on their website. Or Iberia may have other transit counters in the Madrid airport where you have get your boarding passes.

- No difference if you're Australian or English, or both. You all have to go to the visitors' line at MIA to enter the US, unless you are a US permanent resident.

All the above is assuming the terror alert warning issued by the US Homeland Security Dept stays at Yellow or lower. If it's raised to Orange as it had a few times in the past, then you may be subjected to more questioning and very likely a secondary screening at MAD before boarding the MAD-MIA flight.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that reply - very helpful!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:30 PM

jubileegirl,

You will be checked through from LHR to Miami. You will not have to pick up your luggage or go through immigration in Madrid. Unless there is a computer problem, you will also receive your boarding pass for MAD-MIA at LHR.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Andre - you sound very sure about that and it put my mind at rest! Any idea how long before departure we will need to check-in at Heathrow - I assume we'll have the security stuff carried out there?
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 02:09 PM

You're welcome, Jubileegirl!

Iberia doesn't mention their check-in deadline at LHR on their website, but it's generally 45 min. I would get to the airport 90-120 min. before departure to play it safe.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

That's great - we were thinking we'd have to check in at least 3 hours before the flight which is a very early start for a 7 am departure! 90 - 120 mins is MUCH better! I guess the '3 hours before' thing is when it's a planeload all going to the states and needing their cases checked.
Thanks Andre!