Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

I know you all will know the answer to this one...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....We are about to buy our kids portable dvd players for some long flights we have coming up. The one we are looking at has wireless headphones. Pardon my ignorance, but will wireless headphones be a problem on an airplane? Do they fall into the "no transmitters, cell phones,etc." section of no no technology?

Thanks.
Taitai
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM
J62

Yes, wireless headphones fall in the no-no category for the entier flight, not only takeoff and landing.

Some airlines specifically mention wireless laptop accessories (mouse, printer), while others do not.

I also noticed on a recent AA flight they were much more specific about 'turn off all electronic devices', for takeoff and landing, specifically mentioning cell phones, computers, pdas, portable dvd players, mp3, & ipods. "If it runs on batteries it must be turned off."
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I always love it when they tell me to put these things "in the off position." Which position is that?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM

If my digital camera has the ability to cause a malfunction in the plane's operating system then I think that the plane has a design defect.

However I do comply.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM

It has nothing to do with the plane's "operating system" or design. It is an issue of the physical characteristics of radio waves. The aircraft designer could do nothing to solve it, short of very heavy and expensive shielding of the communications and navigation radios.

Not all electrical devices will cause radio wave interference but many will. Rather than have to maintain a long list of approved or disapproved devices that would change on a daily basis, they have sensibly imposed the rules we are discussing.

BTW, ignoring those rules and announcements can be, and has been, construed as a federal crime.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM

No one here, esp. OP, has even suggested ignoring the rules or announcements. Taitai simply wanted information he/she didn't have.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Are you supposed to turn off your pacemaker too? It runs on batteries.