Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How to buy 1 FF and 1paid ticket on same flight ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help. This is the first time we are going to use a FF ticket , but we also need one reg. paid ticket . Obviously we'd like to be on same flight. How should I go about it ? To purchase a ticket, I'd like to look for specials and/or discounts. So should I try this first ? How early should I start ?
The destination is AZ ,probably in Sept. and we're flexible.
Thanks !
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Go to the airline's website, find the flight you want and put it on hold. Then if possible also do the FF reservation for the same flight on the site, if it's not possible to do it there call the airline and try to reserve the award ticket for the same flight. Once your award ticket is confirmed, purchase the other ticket. Make sure you do the award ticket for the person that doesn't have the FF account and the paid ticket for the person that does, so s/he could get the miles for that flight.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Keep in mind that award seats are limited. Some airlines are better than others when it comes to award availability (may help if you let us know which airline). You may find that you'll have to work around what flights are available using miles which may or may not be the flights with the lowest fares, most convenient times, or best routing. That's the pitfall of using 1 FF and 1 paid ticket.

If you're using a Southwest award, then this doesn't apply as almost any seat available for purchase can be yours using an award.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 12:53 PM

What kinds of specials/discounts do you have in mind for your pay ticket? In general, for domestic travel, there aren't many deep discounts left.

If the current pricing from the airline itself is acceptable, I suggest you just call the airline's FF desk and have them take care of both tickets at the same time. Or if the regular price is a bit high right now, check the fares often - like everyday - and then call the FF desk immediately once you have the price you like.

Don't wait too long, as you may not find any seats left to be claimed with mileage, or the airline may want double the miles - you may lose more than you gain on a better price for your pay ticket.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad to have your advice !
We both have United FF(Mileage Plus) but I don't have enough miles, so I need to buy my ticket and my husband will use his FF miles to get the freebie. This way I'll be able to add new miles to my account.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Just call United and get the nice lady to handle both bookings. Or, maybe the nice man. It's less stressful and much easier than messing around their website. If the lady/man isn't nice, hang up and call back!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Don't worry, I just did this last month and it wasn't a problem. Trying to do it online is much more difficult. Call the 800# for FF miles and let them know you're buying a ticket too and they'll be very helpful.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

I knew that I can depend on Fodor Travel to get good advice !
Thanks to all who responded.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:16 AM

The reason I suggested on-line booking is because I admit, I'm a mileage junkie. AA.Com gives you 1000 miles per every on-line booking, paid or award, so that's my preffered way.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:56 AM

jenny,
My husband and I did this years ago on our first flight to Hawaii. One paid ticket and one FF ticket. Called the FF number for the airline and they took care of it all. Also, remember to check the prices of airfare as your vacation nears because if the airfare goes down the airline will generally issue you a travel voucher for the difference to be used on your next flight. My fare went down enough for me to fly to Washington DC the next fall for free Good Luck!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Like AAFF, I'm a mileage junkie - for myself and my parents who fly more than I do - and I love doing everything online. However, sometimes I do have to call the airlines directly. Getting my dad (using mileage) and my mom (paying) together on one trip on CO was one of those occassions. Especially because at that time my mom didn't have "elite" status. So, in order to get them both in the front of the cabin, calling the airline and booking them together was the only way to do it.

I guess I could have booked her online first (and get the 1,000 miles), and then called to have their itineararies merged and have her moved up...