Recent experiences with TSA baggage inspection

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently flew from Florida to Nevada then to New Jersey and back to Florida. In Nevada I opened my suitcase to an absolute mess as if everything had been dumped out and thrown back. I had a TSA card saying it had been inspected. Ok I'm fine with security measures, however in New Jersey I had a premonition and after getting my bag off of the carrosel I went to the side and opened it and saw the same thing occurred. What I also noticed was that a ziplock bag ehat I had in the middle of the suitcase was missing. It had my Garmin GPS, 2 chargers (1 for the Garmin and the other for my iPhone plus a prescription pair of prism glasses whiich I only wear while driving late at night. YES I realize I should have not put the bag in the suitcase. Upon reporting the missing items at United's office I was told I'd need the ORIGINAL receipts of the items. Well they're all at least 4-5 years old, so I'm figuring they will not give me a dime.

Two questions:
Would you fill out of the required forms to attempt to get reimbursement?
What are the chances of getting inspected in 2 of my 4 flights? A friend told me that she read that single passengers are apt to have their luggage checked because most bombers are alone. True or not?
Old May 25th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I often get a note they have been into my luggage, but that's returning from Mexico (the TSA note is in both English and Spanish).

But they have never messed anything up and nothing was ever stolen (but then again I never have anything of value in my checked luggage, only clothes, shoes, toiletries). All electronics, chargers, eye wear, prescriptions, etc. are in my carry-on with me, as you've already figured out would have been smarter.
Yes I would fill out the report.
No I don't think getting checked twice is unusual or exceptional.
No I don't buy the idea that single people are more likely to be "bombers" explanation.
Old May 25th, 2018, 12:01 PM

Answers:

1) Yes, what have you got to lose? Best case - you receive a settlement for all or some of the value of the items. Worst case - you get nothing, same position you are in now.

2) Odds are long but it can happen. Once we had TSA “luggage inspections” on both outbound and returned trip - so 2 for 2 not 2 for 4 as happened to you.

3) Can’t comment on your third question other than to say TSA uses many different strategies to decide what luggage to open - some times it is random and other times it can be a form of profiling. FYI - most luggage is x-rayed after you check it in and before it is taken to the aircraft. If something in your bag shows up in the scan image that looks “out of the ordinary” your bag will be hand searched. Maybe that is what happen to you.
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:46 PM

Yep, you messed up putting electronics in checked bags. Consider it a learning experience.
Requiring original receipts - pretty standard. Whenever I purchase an electronic device of any value I scan the receipt and keep it on file just in case.
Chances of getting TSA'd - totally random, though the presence of electronics may increase the odds. Single traveler status is probably urban myth.as many folks traveling together are on separate PNR's.
Old May 26th, 2018, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The missing electronics buried together in the center of a bag may have been the reason for the inspection. X-ray scans superimpose all the wires and batteries in the image, so it could appear as a crude explosive device. I once had to open my carry-on for inspection due to a similar setup. The inspector explained that the travel clock plus the wires plus the shadows of the batteries simulated a bomb. Now I carry my electronics in my easy to open personal item bag.
Old May 26th, 2018, 01:28 PM

I've also had multiple TSA checks. Sometimes no idea why. Other times something in the bag that might have looked unusual on xray, so I wasn't surprised. Usually on my way "out" on trip when my bag is well organized and some things in bags, etc. Never had contents disheveled.
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:54 PM

I agree with those saying electronics in a checked suitcase is more likely to have been your 'red flag' than the fact that you were traveling solo.
Old May 30th, 2018, 12:24 PM

They see electronics in the bags when they scan them, then steal them. It's a racket.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:35 AM

oh, please, no one checked your bags because you were traveling alone, that's ridiculous. DO you know how many business people fly all the time and are single? Do you seriously think TSA checks all their luggage.

I've had mine checked for no reason I can tell at all, as they leave their card. I have nothing like that in my bag, someone told me once that a solid book may look funny on xray and that may make them open it, I am not sure but I often do have a book in a pocket. Maybe it was random. Once I could tell they had been in my bag as stuff was messed up a little, and they didn't leave a card which I know they aren't allowed to do. I have never been missing anything.
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 06:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven’t had a TSA( at least no note saying they had done one) in many years for a checked bag.
All electronics and valuables go in carry on bag..
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 07:13 AM

On our last trip, to and from Santa Fe, my bags were checked at both ends. Who knows why? And the only way I knew was the card they left in the bag. Nothing was misplaced or in disarray. But I never check anything electronic, both for theft reasons and for not giving them a reason to search deeply.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 03:34 PM

I haven’t had a TSA (at least no note saying they had done one)

i'm pretty sure they leave a note if they open your bag.

I always figured mine were getting checked for no other reason than having been in Mexico and returning to the USA.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:19 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
One of our bags was opened and inspected this week returning from New Zealand - we suspect it was the bottle of wine that prompted the search. TSA left their calling card.

My luggage is often opened and rifled through, but only once has TSA caused damage, by failing to re-wrap some carefully wrapped Bangka tin vases I'd brought back from Indonesia as gifts - they were bashed to bits, but not worth filing a claim for. I just stewed for a few days and moved on.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jun 2nd, 2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 07:05 AM

I've had my bags checked a few times and a note from TSA left inside. I've never had anything taken, as far as I know, but a few years ago on a flight from New Orleans to California my husband's bag was checked and a note was left - two new pairs of levis were missing when he opened it. Of course he didn't have the receipts, so even though he reported it, nothing was done.

We recently got Global Entry - Trusted Traveler Program - so I wonder if that means they won't be so quick to check. Or maybe it will mean nothing.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 10:49 AM

Being a Trusted Traveler means nothing as far as TSA inspecting your checked luggage. Spouse and I have been in the TT program almost since its inception and have had our checked luggage inspected by TSA. Numerous times.

ot can happen to anyone at any time.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Ditto what RoamsAround said. We're TT too.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 02:34 AM

I think it’s just out of place stuff that triggers searches. I travel solo mostly and I’ve only been checked once—apparently a brand new still sealed bag of powder detergent is suspicious. And I thought it was less risky than packing liquid detergent! I’ve been pulled out of security once because the guy got freaked out by cow bones (dog chews) in the X-ray, so now I don’t check or carry on those.

I’m surprised they took your old Garmin and charging cords. That risk would not occur to me. Those are already in my carry on but what thief wants charging cords? I’ve worried about something along the lines of Melinq8s experience—that would definitely be something I’d fill a claim out for—but I don’t know if I’d bother in your case. Given the price of prescription glasses, though, those might be worth filing the claim. That sucks.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 12:58 PM

I got pulled aside yesterday coming back from Mexico at Orange County/John Wayne. Turns out I'd bought so much chocolate from a fancy gourmet place in PV and had it packed in a bag that made a solid block shape, the inspector said it looked exactly like the shape of "explosives" which is the main target that they are looking for.

I also had my checked luggage gone thru (not tossed) and knew because the twist tie was removed, and their note was inside. I did have a bottle of wine, a large bottle of body lotion, my laptop cords, but mostly just dirty and damp vacation clothes. Not sure what triggered that. My suitcase itself definitely does not look particularly interesting.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You leave electronics with wires, etc., in a bag and in my experience it always gets opened. Makes perfect sense.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Don't forget that theft from checked luggage by someone other than TSA can also occur. Just because TSA left their calling card doesn't mean that some other bad actor couldn't get their thieving mitts on your stuff.

On my recent return flight from Portugal I had a bottle of olive oil and a small bottle of port swaddled in a hand towel and clothes in the middle of my checked bag and thought for sure that would cause an inspection, but it didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -