TSA pre-check invite from UA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone else got the invite email today (or recently). It says that I am automatically enrolled in the TSA pre-check program (at no cost to me). I can opt out of it, but why would I want to! DH is wondering if he will get the same invite.

Anyone else get this yet?
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Spouse and I got one too.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM

I didn't get the invite, but I've been in TSA-Pre since last year via Global Entry. Love it! Only problem is the airport/terminal I use second most to ORD (PHX T2) doesn't have it

Hopefully your DH will get the invite, too.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

DH's email comes into an account that I cannot access at home, so we have to wait until going to the office tomorrow to see if he gets one. Melnq8, did you just get your invite today (or very recently)? Just curious.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Recommend you sign up for Global Entry as well if you do much international travel.

TSA-Precheck is good and saves time and aggravation when passing through security at designated airports, when flying designated airlines most of the time, in my experience. There is a random selection process in effect, however, so you aren't guaranteed Precheck every time you fly.

Global Entry is a huge time-saver when returning to the US from abroad. No standing in Immigration lines! Each time I've used it there have been just a handful of other travelers using the GE lane. A quick swipe of your passport, a quick scan of your finger prints, press a few yes-or-no buttons, and you're done. You don't even need to complete the Customs form. I almost always travel carry-on-only so I'm out and on my way in five minutes or fewer.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 07:08 PM

My parents, both Gold elites, have been getting Pre on their BPs since their trip in late May.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:41 PM

It was received today simpson510, but on checking further, I haven't gotten one, just my spouse (we share an e-mail address). So, wondering if mine is coming...or not.

We've looked into Global Entry, but the interview presents some issues, as we live outside of the US...from what I understand they call you for the interview, and as we're only in the US once or twice a year for short periods of time, it's a bit problematic. That, and the nearest enrolment center is a 75 mile drive from the city we usually visit.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 04:43 AM

American and Delta, maybe others, have enrolled their FF elites in the PreCheck program for a year or more. It makes flying about 100 times easier, and it means that your trip through security lasts about 45 seconds instead and doesn't involve taking off any apparel.

Only downside is that it's offered only at some airports (though the list keeps growing), and you're not assured of getting PreCheck-ed on all your flights.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 07:35 AM

<i>from what I understand they call you for the interview</i>

You schedule your interview online after you receive your conditional approval. You have 30 days to schedule the interview and the interview date must be within 90 days.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Did I read the fine print correctly? You must check in on line or at a kiosk for a flight, and NOT with a United agent at the counter, to get the pre-ck icon on your boarding pass? I'm not one who checks in on line, so maybe I'll have to start doing that. Hmmmm......
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 12:13 PM

You can still use Pre if you're eligible. They haven't fully implemented printing the icon on BPs via all channels. AA is similar in that the Pre icon is only on online or mobile BPs right now but I can still use Pre if checking in with an agent.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

"They" (UA) say I am eligible, which is why they have sent me the email and have signed me up already. Patty, will a boarding pass without the Pre ck icon be accepted and get me in the fast lane, or do I need to reteach myself to check in at a kiosk rather than with a 1K agent at OHare? I'm usually at a park, sleep, fly hotel the night before a flight, so printing out a boarding pass isn't always easy from my own PC or phone app.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 06:41 PM

Your eligibility for a particular itinerary is encoded in the bar code on your boarding pass. It shouldn't matter whether you have a printed online check-in boarding pass with the icon, a mobile boarding pass with the icon, or a counter-printed boarding pass without the icon.

At ORD, there is a manned station at the entry to the priority security line (by the 1K check-in desk) where you scan the bar code on your boarding pass. If you get three beeps, then the agent will direct you into the Pre line; if you get one beep, then the agent will direct you into the regular priority security line.

As others have noted, the selection process is "random" and even if enrolled you aren't guaranteed of getting Pre every time. My record is pretty good over the past year, knock on wood...
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very informative reply, ms_go. I always use that particular security lane so should be good! I'm off to HNL in a couple of weeks. Hope I get pre-ck clearance. BTW, DH did not get the invite (yet), but hopeful it will come to his mailbox.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 07:39 AM

I haven't gotten an invite yet, but am only gold.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Brand new passport just arrived! I had a small window of opportunity to renew my old one, set to expire mid-2014. Saw the chance between BKK and Zurich trips so jumped on it. The extra pages (that I paid to have added in old one) are now free of charge; just order them when you renew your passport.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:48 PM

<i>The extra pages (that I paid to have added in old one) are now free of charge; just order them when you renew your passport.</i>

It's been that way for a long time. It was just never listed as a option on the application itself until more recently. You used to have to attach a separate letter requesting the extra pages along with your renewal application.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM

Yes, I've always gotten the free extra pages when I apply for a new passport. If you have to have pages added to an existing passport, they do charge for them.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 04:24 PM

<If you have to have pages added to an existing passport, they do charge for them.>

Depends on in which country you have them added. We've had pages added for no charge in Singapore and Kuwait.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM

Melnq8,
When was the last time you had extra pages added? I believe the fee went into effect in 2010. The last time I added pages was in Vienna and there was no charge. Checking the embassy website now it says $82.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -