Going through security with herbs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why I think this should be an issue, but my Mom asked me to bring her some fresh cut oregano and rosemary from our garden when I fly to visit her this week. Is there any reason getting those through security would be an issue?
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 09:52 AM

I think you can check (not sure how) to see what restrictions might be in place from the Dept of Agriculture. I know in some states there are restrictions to bringing plants due to transfer of insects, disease, etc.

However, I doubt herbs would be a problem. You should have them carefully washed, no roots or soil, and in a plastic bag I would think.

Good luck.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 01:14 PM

You don't say where you are flying from and to.

If traveling domestically in the US the TSA won't give a hoot about carrying fresh herbs in either your carry-on or checked luggage. So, you'll have no difficulty bring the fresh herbs on the plane.

However, as the previous poster mentioned some the US Department of Agricultural and some states restrict bringing certain certain plants into that particular state.

To determine if USDA prohibits or restricts the interstate movement of a particular item, you should contact the State Plant Heath Director for your destination State. You can also contact USDA's Plant Protection and Quarantine customer service officials by calling (301) 851-2028 or Email: [email protected]

If, however, you are flying internationally you should know that most countries WILL NOT let you bring in live or "fresh" agricultural products into that particular country so you'll have to check the customs rules for the specific country where you'll be bringing the herbs to see if they will be allowed or not.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 03:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
USA mainland. Hawaii is a different story.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:16 PM

As long as you are flying domestically and not to Hawaii you should have no problems.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 09:53 AM

I fly from Washington state to Calif. often and always carry a variety of fresh herbs for family.

Never had a problem. I cleaned and dried them with paper towel.Then used more paper towel to wrap them and finally put them in ziplock bags. Carried them in my carry on tote bag.

They arrived the destination looking fresh and beautiful.
Take as much as you want. Enjoy the flavors, the travel and the people who will enjoy the freshness.