Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App?

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App?

Yesterday we received notice that our TSA Pre membership is expiring. We can easily renew online or we can decide to apply for Global Entry. That would require the a new application, an in-person interview, and the extra $15.

On the last few trips we have used the Mobile Passport app, which worked great. I know that the app now costs $15/year if you want to keep your passport info stored within the app.

Putting aside any cost differences, should we just renew our TSA Pre, or is there an advantage to having Global Entry over Mobile Passport? This would be used perhaps a couple times per year at most, not too often.

Thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 03:25 AM
J62

I find that the free Mobile Passport app works just fine for me. It doesn't take any time at all to enter my passport info. That does not come with TSA Pre check. Since I leavel plenty of time to get through TSA that's not an issue for me.

I'm also not (currently) eligible to apply to for GE (orange...) so that's off the table anyway. (until november...)
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts, J62. Since we were going to renew our TSA Pre in any case, we decided to just go ahead and apply for Global Entry, so I did that yesterday. Seems like once we have it, GE will provide the highest level of convenience and simplicity, and we are all about that when traveling these days.