Getting out from a middle seat

Sep 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Getting out from a middle seat

You are on a plane. You have an aisle seat. The person next to you needs to get out of his/her seat for any reason at all. You don't know the person. Do you prefer that the person wakes you to get out, climbs over you while trying not to wake you, or sits suffering silently until you wake up?

I prefer to be wakened. It is an excuse for me to make sure I have an opportunity to move my legs a bit. I really would prefer that the person not have to suffer or go through some type of air gymnastics to get out.

What is your preference?
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM

Since I can fall asleep if I'm tired enough, I don't mind being waken. I usually tell my seatmate feel free to wake me when he/she needs to get out.
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Depends on how big a rear end they are packing

I have had a few go by my face that I wish I had been given fair warning about.

Personally when I am in the middle and have to go, I debate the air gymnastics move first then calculate whether the Russians will give me a "10" or not. Otherwise, I hold it as long as I can and pray my snoring, drooling seat neighbor wakes up soon.

A bump on the elbow from a flight attendant service cart going by usually does the trick ...
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Regardless of what you do, *please* don't yank the seat in front of you to get up, I'm sitting there and you'll wake *me* up. Use your arm rests instead. It works!
Sep 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM

I can't sleep on a plane, so the problem has never come up.
Sep 14th, 2010, 04:50 PM

If it's a longer flight where it's likely that I will sleep, I often will tell the person beside me not to be shy about waking me up because I wake up and fall back asleep very easily.
Sep 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM

I usually put myself in their shoes. It sucks to have a middle seat. Therefore, I would tell the person in advance that I don't mind if he/she wakes me up to get up. If I get up to go to the restroom, I might sometimes ask if the others in my row want a chance to stretch their legs.
Sep 15th, 2010, 07:23 AM

As above, even though I'm not asleep, at the start of the flight, I usually say to my middle-seat neighbor, something about "don't be shy" asking me, if you need to get up. I prefer to stand up into the aisle and let them out, rather than have someone try to climb over me.
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM

I use a sleep med on night time transoceanic flights. I tell the person next to me that he/she shouldn't bother waking me to access the corridor. Just climb right over me, I don't mind a bit. I do find myself hoping that the person seated next to me can actually manage that maneuver---I'm not too big, but if he/she is, or just isn't very limber for some reason then it might present a problem, in which case I'm rousable.

Great point from Matt re pushing yourself up using your arm rests rather than using the seat back in front of you.
Sep 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM

I try to get the aisle seat on the center section so I can go to sleep or just zone out with my eyeshades and headphones knowing those in the center have a second route out.

Anytime I am in an aisle seat I do try to remember to tell my neighbors not to be shy about letting me know when they need to get out--otherwise I will lie there for hours at a time, skipping the dinner, movie etc.

Once I couldn't communicate with those in the center and I felt bad when, after getting up to go to the restroom and stretch hours into the flight, the couple from the center center seats were up retrieving items from the overhead and making lots of adjustments. I think they had been waiting a long time. Maybe they had lightly touched my arm or shoulder and I just thought it was plane jostling.

When stuck, I tend to wait as long as I can before I disturb the sleeper.
Sep 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM

"Regardless of what you do, *please* don't yank the seat in front of you to get up, I'm sitting there and you'll wake *me* up. Use your arm rests instead."

Exactly, Matt! This is a big pet peeve of mine, asleep or awake...
Sep 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM

I don't believe it is possible to get out of a middle seat behind a fully reclined seat without grabbing the seat, unless you can levitate. What they need is grab bars on the overhead.
Sep 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM

I do it every time. Grab your own damn seat.
Sep 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM

People grab the seat back in front of them because it's there and they can see it and it seems like the logical thing to do. From a mechanical/physical point of view it's actually easier to push yourself up using your hands on the arm rests than it is to pull yourself up by reaching out and grabbing the seat back in front of you. Tuck your feet under your seat (to the extent possible) to make this maneuver work, and you may even find that you don't even need the extra help of pushing against the arm rests if your thigh muscles are strong enough.
Sep 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM

I forgot--I never try to climb over someone unless it is a bulkhead, window, or business class seat with extra leg room (or my husband in the next seat). Just too high probability of stepping on feet, bumping the person in the aisle seat, or being jostled and becoming better acquainted than I had intended.
Sep 19th, 2010, 12:02 AM

I prefer to be woken up. Chances are I'm not asleep anyway. I don't appreciate strangers crawling over me, nor do I like to crawl over them. I'm always willing to get up to let someone out, it's just common courtesy.
Sep 21st, 2010, 06:19 AM

I prefer they just go past/over the person on the other side of them!

The one time I was in an aisle seat (for longer than a 45 minute flight) I simply told the person next to me to let me know if they wanted out and I'd be happy to move. This is why I always try to reserve a window seat, then it's simply not an issue.

As for yanking on the seat in front of you when you get up, why do people do that?? How do you stand up from any other kind of chair? You either just stand up or you push up from the arm rests. Even if the seat is laid back it shouldn't be an issue. Granted, if you're older or have visible mobility/strength issues then you get a pass and can use whatever you need.
Sep 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM

so if you have invisible mobility/strength issues you don't get a pass?
maybe instead of being judgemental know it alls you could assume that people are doing the best they can and are not living their lives in order to irritate you.
Sep 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM

Well normally there is not another chair with it's back about a millionth of an inch in front of you.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM

It might be helpful if the person in the window seat or the middle seat check with the people they might have to crawl over before the plane even leaves the ground to see what their preference would be. (I am usually in the window seat because I seldom need to get up and I don't like being crawled over, being bumped by carts or people walking the aisle or, in rare occasions, having something fall out of the overhead bin on me.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO