Reload this Page >

frequent flyer credit card

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:50 PM
katybird

I'd like suggestions for a frequent flyer credit card. Can you get miles for more than one airline on the same card?

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are likely to be many answers to this question....but the one that I'd recommend, (and I have the same card myself) is that you apply for the Starwood Amex card after (or concurrently) with joining the Starwood Preferred Guest program.

SPG is parent company to Westin, Sheraton, FourPoints, W Hotels, and Luxury Collection. The benefit of this card is multi-fold:

1- Annual fee is only 30$, and free for the first year,
2- The points earned can be converted to airline miles for almost any airline on a 1.25x-1.0 basis...
3- Note that UAL does not have as good a basis for transfer as a direct result of the UA Mileage Plus VISA card,
4- If you earn enough points on this card to fly free you automatically get a 25% bonus when transferring at least 20K miles from SPG to the airline of you choice.

For a very detailed review of credit cards which earn miles I'd advise you to visit www.flyertalk.com.....where you will get more information than you could possibly have imagined!!

Best wishes on your quest!! Dave
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:46 AM
katybird

Dave, Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I am going to apply!
Katybird

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:21 AM

The rest of the replies to this question have disapeared.

Keith
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Yes, there are cards where you can earn miles for more than one airline, however, the caveat is that you cannot combine miles from these types of cards with miles earned from travel, hotels, or car rentals. Therefore, it's better to get a card with an individual airline, such as American Airlines Citibank AAdvantage so that the travel miles are combined with those earned whening using the credit card.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Not true, both the Starwood Amex as Dave mentioned above and the regular Amex charge card with Membership Rewards enables you to transfer your points into many different ff accounts where they are combined with all of your miles earned from flights, hotel, rental car, telecom, dining, etc. There are probably a number of other cards out there where you can do the same.

I agree with you on the issue of the 'travel reward' credit cards though (the ones where you cannot transfer the points into your ff account) - I personally would not use one of these.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:12 PM

If you get a United Card you can link it up to your Safeway card. Aside from the $1/mile that you regularly get, you'll get 125 miles for every $250 you spend. You can really rack up the points.