Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

For Delta flights, best Frequent Flyer Program to save miles to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previously I saved Delta flights to my Continental miles. Now I can't anymore, because Continental is in Star Alliance.

Primarily I am an Aeroplan points collector, with Continental second. I don't have many points at all on other airlines, so just assume I am starting with a blank slate. I do have at least one Delta flight coming up now, though.

What frequent flyer plan would be best for me to save my Delta points to? How is Alaska for availability and redemptions?

Because I don't think I'll be flying Delta or related airlines that often, I would probably only be interested in North American rewards - USA, Canada, Mexico. I'd be leaving out of Vancouver, Seattle, or possibly Portland.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Given your location, you might look at Alaska, as you get full earnings on Delta flights, and they also have a very healthy list of other partners, increasing your redemption options.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Forgot to add: Most of your best options out of those cities will be on Alaska, anyway, even if you tried to redeem with Delta, so you might as well go to the source.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Alaska is indeed the obvious answer. With numerous Skyteam and Oneworld partners, as well as their own extensive US/Canada/Mexico network, you have many redemption channels for miles.

In addition, AS is moving toward elite-reciprocity agreements with Delta (i.e. preferred seating for elites, possibly some upgrade potential, fee waivers and increased baggage allowances etc.) and rumored to be trying to do the same with American.

The only downside to Alaska's mileage program is that one can only use one partner at a time on awards, unlike mileage redemptions with alliance members. Thus if you wanted to go to, say, Poland, you could only ride one carrier all the way (in addition to Alaska up to the international gateway.) So while with, say, Delta miles you could ride Delta to Amsterdam then KLM to Warsaw, using AS miles you couldn't switch from one carrier to another, so you'd have to use, e.g., BA to London then BA again to Poland.

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be a big pain when trying to arrange foreign trips, since you have to have availability on ONE carrier for the whole foreign itinerary.

Also while AS allows one-way redemptions on their own metal, they don't allow it using partners, unlike AA and (this week) UA.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 03:00 PM
P_M

I see everyone beat me to it. I posted a similar question recently and Alaska was the best suggestion I got. I've only been to Alaska once and I have no plans to return, but it looks like I'll be the newest member of their club.