Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

flying with supplemental O2--anyone with info?

Mar 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Well, the good news is that as of May 2009, all airlines serving the US have to allow passengers to travel with their own Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs). The bad news is that these devices are still plenty heavy and cumbersome, especially if you're trying to travel light. Anyone hav any RECENT experiences in using airline-supplied supplemental oxygen?

Each airline is able to set its own rules & rates. For example, only Virgin Atlantic (& perhaps British Airways) offers it FREE, from what I've read so far. United charges $125/flight and I read that in 2008, Lufthansa was charging 300 euros/flight.

Would appreciate any updated info, as the idea of lugging around an extra 15-20 pounds of O2 gear is unappealing.

Thanks!
HImom
Mar 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

So far, the two airlines that offer FREE in-flight O2 are Virgin Atlantic and British Airlines. The others allow you to carry your POC but won't supply POC without a charge. Lufthansa charges 300 euros (currently $407) per flight & United $125/flight.
Mar 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM

And at least one airline, Delta, no longer supplies oxygen at all. But you can bring your own POC (for FREE I believe) provided it is an approved model.

Why are we capitalizing FREE?
Mar 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Because it is so unusual to not have passenger be charged an extra fee for use of oxygen supplied by the airlines for use during the flight. Worldwide, these are the two carriers I can find that offer it.

Hawaiian Airlines also only offers it on one roundtrip flight and doesn't offer it between islands or between Hawaii and other states. It's a huge issue for those of us who need O2.
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi!
Just found a great site on air travel with oxygen by the European Lung Foundation. (For example, it says United provides FREE oxygen--they actually charge $125/leg. It also says LOT in Poland offers FREE oxygen, when they USED to have it free but have started charging.) Please verify other details, as I have found some policies to be incorrect but it's a good place to start. Also, let them know when you find things that need to be corrected so it can be more current. http://www.european-lung-foundation....ex.php?id=4059

HImom
Mar 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Just curious - don't you need the concentrator and other associated parts once you get to your destination anyway?
Mar 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

For me personally, I only need O2 at high altitude, for exertion or sleep (e.g. 5000 feet), so no, I don't need it for most of the places we would be planning to visit. This is just adding a layer of complexity to our trip.