Flight prices: Have they increased?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2021, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are flights more expensive than usual now?
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 05:01 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably. Everything else seems to have gone up.

We booked flights to Switzerland for late September and they weren't horrible, but we booked months in advance.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jun 17th, 2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 05:54 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes as I booked airfare in April for September using a travel credit. Since then the price has increased by 300 dollars and the flight keeps getting canceled. I am now on a flight that totally doesn’t work. This is a domestic flight and to me things don’t seem to be getting better.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IME and strictly anecdotally . . . economy/coach fares have generally gone up because leisure travel is really surging. But Business/First fares have flattened or even gone down significantly, especially for international routes, because typical business travel hasn't rebounded and likely won't until several more months. Also - schedules have been reduced on some routes and increased on others so that also has an impact.

On some routes Business class costs only a little more than economy+ or even plain old economy. I've seen some fares on US routes where economy actually costs more than 'first class' (which is actually business class on most domestic routes)

So the answer is some have gone up and some have gone down . . . case by case basis.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. A flight I book last January for SFR 900 has now gone up to SFR 2,400. Of course, the flight is in July and it's transcontinental (Europe-US) so that may also be a reason for the sticker shock.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kleeblatt
Interesting. A flight I book last January for SFR 900 has now gone up to SFR 2,400. Of course, the flight is in July and it's transcontinental (Europe-US) so that may also be a reason for the sticker shock.
TATL and TPAC (Transatlantic/Transpacific) flights are especially in turmoil because of the limitations of who can enter which countries and flights have been continually cancelled, rescheduled, combined. TATL capacity is a fraction of what it was in 2019. I wouldn't be looking at January fares until this Fall - maybe September-ish - when things might be more 'normal'. If flights are added back to the schedules you may see big fare sales.