Flight # no longer exists...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked a domestic flight to Chicago back at the beginning of November. My flight is this Friday and I just went on United's website to check the flight details and discovered that my flight number no longer exists. There are other flights to Chicago of course, but I have a connecting international flight that needs to be made. I found a flight that has almost the same schedule as my old one, but a completely different number. Has anyone had this happen to them? I have had flights change times before, but I've never had the flight number change. Should I be worried?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM
P_M

This has happened to me several times. I don't know why they do this, but there's absolutely no need to worry. Call the airline and find out your new number.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Flight numbers change all the time, that's normal. However, make sure you go to united.com and look up your reservations using your six-digit locator code, or using your Mileage Plus number if you have one.

You should be able to pull up your new itinerary with the new flight numbers, seat assignment, etc. If you can't find it, then call United ASAP and get it sorted out.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:19 AM

jamie...No reason to stress..Flight numbers and times change constantly..Your PNR locator (confirmation number) will not change...
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:18 AM

They change all the time. Relax, then enjoy your trip
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:02 AM

If your domestic and international flight are on the same ticket, I think you have no problem.

If they are on separate tickets, the domestic flight airline will not know you have a connection to make, and the international flight airline won't wait for you if you are late. So if that is the situation, you should call right away and insure that you will have more than enough connection time.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM
pat

I, too panicked when this happened to me. They had already planned to put me on a flight like 3 minutes later, and had already given me the same seat assignment.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM

I am glad I found this thread as I had no idea! I would certainly panic!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I will find out what my new flight # is tomorrow when I verify my flight details over the phone.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:51 PM

I would find out asap. It happened to us with Continental. Guess what? They had actually canceled that route. Sent me an e-mail DURING our trip (and this was a 3-day trip!). Of course I never saw it. Got to the airport and tried to check in (had an e-ticket). The machine couldn't find my flight #. Anyway, the last Continental flight to my destination had left an hour earlier. They of course put me on an American flight that was about to leave. But who wants to go through that, call them and good luck.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Learn to use the united.com website. You should be able to find your itinerary, and then you can do online check-in on Thursday to print your boarding passes.

If you know enough internet to post a question here, you can do all that on united.com.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:29 AM

You won't be able to use united.com to check in for your international flight. But if you have a Mileage Plus account, you can log in and look at 'my itineraries,' which will show you the correct flight numbers. Or call...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM

MsGo, United doesn't allow you to check-in on-line? That's a bummer!

I wonder which airlines allow and which don't for international flights. I know Continental does 24 hr before the flight.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM

If you book a flight through United's telephone agents, it doesn't show up on united.com. At least, mine doesn't.

Ed
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Faina, not yet. I believe the same is true for American - I flew AA to Canada in October and could not check in on line (website says it must be US domestic, PR, USVI).

suranyi - I've booked a number of UA reservations by phone, and they always show up in 'my inineraries' on united.com. I have one there now for June that was booked by phone. Are you sure your MP number was entered on the reservation?
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I've flown American once before for an international flight and was able to choose my seat online. I can't believe United does not allow this for int'l flights.

BTW- I found my flight. The time and number changed, but luckily I'm still fine for my flight later in the day. It's nice that they told me! *sarcasm* I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM

You can choose seats online for domestic and international flights on United; you just have to do it when you make the reservation. Otherwise, you have to call. You can not check-in and print a boarding pass online, but that is true of other airlines, as well.

The ability to access a seat map and change seat assigments (not at the time of reservation) is one of the biggest issues with United's website - well, that and stability and a few other things....
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Ms_go, what do you mean <You can not check-in and print a boarding pass online, but that is true of other airlines, as well>?
We always check in and print our boarding passes at home before leaving for the airport. We use Continental not United.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I was referring to a comment above about international flights. United (and some other airlines) offer online check-in only for domestic US flights.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Maybe it wasn't clear because Jamie asked about a domestic flight to Chicago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -