Fares dropped-booked on travelocity??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If an airline drops its fares but it was NOT booked directly with the airline (I used travelocity) will they honor the reduced fare or am I stuck?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:53 AM

Of course they will honor your ticket! Call the airline directly to confirm your reservation by the Travelocity's confirmation number, I always do that twice - once when I book, and then 2-3 days prior to the flight to confirm there are no changes/cancellations.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:54 AM

OH, wait, I think I misunderstood you. You mean the airline's price is now lower then Travelocity's and you want the difference to be refunded? Hmmmm.... this I don't know.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:36 PM

does anybody do this (airline included) i thought once you bought a ticket you had paid and that was it... you can renegotiate??? i have probably lost some money then...
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:46 PM

As long as you make no change in the itinerary whatsoever,a credit should be due.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:35 PM

BeachBoi, are you sure? I'm with bill n ted - once you buy, I think you are committed. If not, I want my refunds!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:14 AM

Well as far as I know.At least up until last week.Anything can change.But it has never made any difference where you buy the ticket--internet,TA, or direct with the AL.If your fare goes down and you make absolutely no changes,it has been my experience to get a voucher for future travel.I have seen some posters say they got credits to their creidt card and some even cash directly from the airline.International tickets are usually a bit different.In the past I have heard from my TA that if an overseas ticket price goes down, no credit is due.But then again that could vary.As with any thing, you have to ask to get any "refund".Nobody is going to voluntarily going to give up money I dont think.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:22 AM

you are correct BeachBoi. If the fare goes down and the itinerary remains the same you are entitled to a credit voucher. This does not apply to 'web specials' and to some internet site purchases. Exchanges must be done with whomever issued the original ticket or the air carrier.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:31 AM

Wow! Thanks, BeachBoi and hannah! The airlines certainly don't broadcast this information!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:54 AM

Read the fine print on your ticket. If your first fare was a &quot;nonrefundable,&quot; it probably involves a fee for changing, so if you want to get the new lower fare, you may lose $50-100 of that because of the restrictions on your original ticket. <BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:30 PM

Bummer! So - holding a &quot;nonrefundable&quot; ticket {what most people I know book} indeed DOES strip you of your right to a credit if the price drops, even if you don't make itinerary changes? <BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Molly<BR>No, in most cases.This is what the airlines call a &quot;rollover&quot;.All that is happening is that the fare for the itinerary as you originally booked the ticket, has gone down.Most of the time,there is no fee because you have changed nothing.Just the fare went down.But you must ASK for the credit in whatever form it takes from the airlines.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Thank you, BeachBoi, may all our credit requests prayers be heard and answered!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM

BeachBoi is about 90% right. The new lower fare has to apply to the same flight you're booked on and also to the same fare class. So if your ticket is booked in L fare class, and the new lower priced fares are in Q, it will not work. In case like that the airline will charge you a change fee because you are actually changing a ticket fare class.<BR>On the bright side - The refund if applicable will work on international and domestic, and it has nothing to do with non-refundable.<BR>Good Luck!<BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Yes many thanks, Beach Boi, for the most informative, and hopefully profitable, education!<BR><BR>And thanks AA for the additional clarification.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:44 PM

You options might be limited if you booked a flight where the travel agent (Travelocity, Expedia, whoever) had to issue paper tickets. I booked a flight on BA in and out of London in Feb on Expedia. The price went down a total of $150 (on 2 tickets that totalled $440 originally). Because they had to send me paper tickets, the only way I can get a refund is if I send my paper tickets via Express mail back to Expedia. Then, if the new lower fare still exists, they will refund my credit card and reissue the tickets (same flights, all cheap coach) with the new price on them and charge me an additional $20 to send them back to me. I figure I'll come out over $100 ahead IF the airfare doesn't go back up while my tickets are in transit. I assume if you have an e-ticket (which I prefer but wasn't an option with Expedia for these European flights) that they would just refund you over the phone.
Good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Back in September, US Airways credited me almost $200 per ticket for flights from Philadelphia to London because the price had dropped so much. But I was the one who had to keep track of the falling prices and call them--otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten anything. It's also a little like gambling as you decide whether the price has dropped enough or will it drop further because you can't do it twice. The credit was in the form of a travel voucher good for one year, not an actual credit to my card. But I was very impressed that they could do this!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM

As of 7 weeks ago, American Airlines will let you do it twice.

I got them to reissue my tickets for a $70 savings in February (after learning on this board that they will do it). Then the fare dropped even farther and I called again.

Unfortunately, the lower fares the second time were for a different class of fare and my savings would have only been a couple of dollars on an international flight, so I didn't make them reissue.

Keith
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:53 PM

Update on Expedia and British Air: They (BA) will not give you refunds or credits if your fare goes down. I paid $20 to overnight my tickets to Expedia as they instructed me to do, to recieve a credit for the new lower fare and rebooked tickets. When I called to follow up, they said the customer service agent and her manager who helped me originally were wrong. They said BA does not allow for rebooking at lower fares so I was out of luck (and out $20). Be very wary of using Expedia (don't trust what the customer service reps tell you) and BA.
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:30 AM

How can we get the airlines and the other travel services to monitor these postings? Kaizen, make things better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -