Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

EWR international to domestic - worth it to get reissued boarding passes for precheck

Search

EWR international to domestic - worth it to get reissued boarding passes for precheck

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing another question on an international to domestic connection at EWR, it occurred to me that this airport may be one that doesn't allow you to stay within the secure area to make your connection.

Next month I will be arriving from EDI and then connecting on to a domestic flight to ORD. I have Global Entry, but my connecting boarding pass for my flight to ORD will not have the PreCheck designation on it because it was issued to me in EDI and that's a TSA thing. I'm scheduled to arrive at EWR at 12:30 pm and I have a 3 hr layover (on a weekday). I am flying United and I also get priority boarding, although I would think it's only the PreCheck designation that wouldn't show up on the boarding passes that are issued in EDI.

My question is - is it worth it to go to the check in kiosks and get my boarding passes reissued (presumably with the PreCheck designation) or just get in the regular security line? Not sure how big the difference between the regular line/PreCheck lines are at that time of day and/or how far away the check in counters are.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:37 AM
P_M

IME you will always have to re-clear security when arriving from another country. That seems pretty standard.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:42 AM
P_M

I see no reason why you won't have your precheck designation on a boarding pass issued out of the country. The airline will put that on your boarding pass, not the TSA. I've had GE and precheck for almost 6 years and it's never been a problem. Just 3 months ago I came home from Croatia and my boarding pass issued in DBV did indicate my precheck status.

Last edited by P_M; Sep 10th, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by chepar
but my connecting boarding pass for my flight to ORD will not have the PreCheck designation on it because it was issued to me in EDI
I wouldn't necessarily assume this is the case. I am looking at a boarding pass issued to me in Europe last week for a Frankfurt-Chicago flight, and it does have a PreCheck designation (even though PreCheck wasn't really relevant to that particular flight).

Last edited by ms_go; Sep 10th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by P_M
IME you will always have to re-clear security when arriving from another country. That seems pretty standard.
Unless things have changed within the last several years, whenever flying back and connecting through SFO (from Europe) I have not had to re clear security and so the PreCheck designation on my boarding pass was unneccessary.

However, last year when I was issued my boarding pass in LHR connecting through DEN it did not have the PreCheck designation on it and DEN was an airport where I had to re-clear security. The regular security line took about 45 minutes. I was traveling with people who didn't have PreCheck, otherwise I would have considered getting my boarding passes reissued.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ms_go
I wouldn't necessarily assume this is the case. I am looking at a boarding pass issued to me in Europe last week for a Frankfurt-Chicago flight, and it does have a PreCheck designation (even though PreCheck wasn't really relevant to that particular flight).
Ok, hoping this is the case. Would be helpful and saves me a lot of time.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 10:43 AM
P_M

SFO is one of the few major airports I've never flown into from overseas. In the last decade I've flown into ORD, JFK, IAD, DFW, IAH, PHL, LAX and MIA and in every one of those I've had to re-clear security after customs. So I bet the same is true in EWR.

In any case I think you will be OK. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 10:53 AM

I've re-entered the United States at SFO a few times over the past couple of years and have had to clear security before proceeding to my connecting flight. Same with Newark.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 05:04 PM

Can you get a mobile boarding pass if you don't get pre-check on the original boarding pass? Doesn't take any time, but could save a bunch in security...

You will be landside, so no extra data costs.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I came thru EWR at 1:00 PM yesterday on United to make an international to domestic connection. I had TSA Pre on my boarding pass, both United app and hard copy printed in Zurich.

You must clear security for the connection. I don’t have Global Entry but used the Mobil Passport app and that saved a ton of time, as did TSA Pre.

I also had to take the tram from terminal B to C.

I had a 2.5 hour connection and had plenty of time left over to enjoy an overpriced Old Fashioned right by my gate.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:50 PM

1. Yes, you will need to re-clear TSA security at EWR.
2. TSA PreCheck does appear on your domestic connection BP even if you check in at a non-US airport. Always has for me, as lately as last month. If you have the United app (and your passport has been previously scanned into the system) you can check in online and get the BP on your phone.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Always has for me, as lately as last month.<<

Ditto - as recently as July
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hmm. I suppose perhaps my boarding pass issued last year at LHR without the PreCheck on it was maybe one of those one off times where you don't always get the PreCheck designations, then - even if you have Global Entry.

It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise, not having the PreCheck designation - I suppose I've gotten a bit spoiled not having to stand in the regular security line. But as I was traveling with others who don't have Global Entry or normally get PreCheck, it didn't matter - I would have had to wait for them anyway.

I do have the United app on my phone.