Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Do you support a PASSENGER BILL OF RIGHTS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been alot of talk about the terrible service by the Airlines in recent months. Many Airlines have held passengers hostage for up to 14 hours on the tarmac. Others keep customers waiting for hours at check in because they do not hire enough staff. Other Airlines have incredibly rude staff who will not help customers with special issues. Finally, the Airlines have fired most of the people who use to work at the toll free 1-800 reservation call centers and replaced them with limited staff from India who do not speak good English.

Would you support an AIRLINE CUSTOMER BILL OF RIGHTS, passed by Congress and enforced by the FAA?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:46 AM

NO!

and this topic has been discussed here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34952761
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:53 AM

Dude...The airlines that have outsourced their customer service , closed the stateside call centers.If you call Delta, e.g., and you get a person in your opinion who does not speak "good English", you will have just arrived in India.With USAirways, you'll be in Mexico City.If you call United, you may be in Manila!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
J62

NO! see my answer on the thread posted by AAFF

Re cust. service.
I had a booking issue recently on AA (combo FF tickets and $ tickets). Called the AA 800# and a very helpful woman in North Carolina helped me out on the spot.

Sent her an AA employee thank you certificate. I carry a stack of them with me and have been able to hand one out on most of my recent trips.

Maybe I'm lucky, but no issues here.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:18 AM

Would you? What's your view on that?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:19 AM

What are AA employee thank you certificates? Are those only used by Platinum or Gold members?
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
J62

I got a stack of AA employee thank you certificates in the mail about 6mo ago. I'm gold level, so perhaps they were only limited distribution.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:11 AM

AAdvantage Elite members will receive the recognition certificates annually upon qualification or requalification beginning on/around March 2007. NOTE: They will NOT be in the annual mailings in February 2007. The annual amount of certificates each member receives is based upon their specific Elite status as follows:

· Executive Platinum - 10 certificates
· Platinum - 8 certificates
· Gold - 6 certificates

Requests for More Certificates

Unfortunately, requests for additional or replacement certificates cannot be honored.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM

True, airlines have put profits ahead of customer service and the basic comfort of the flying public. The Promised Land where we'll have the phrase "Customer First" everywhere is seems like a distant dream. I think the bill will give some succour to the airline passengers, especially on the legal side. It seeks to give us legal rights by preventing us from being held indefinitely on planes, ensuring that our needs are met, and helping airlines coordinate with government agencies. Not a bad call. Only Time will Tell!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I would if they also passed a General Consumer Bill of Rights. We live in a econmically driven society. If the company (airline) fails to give proper service, recompense, then don't use them. Find out who gives the best service/value for the buck and use them. If you are dissatisfied with a business in your area, do you continue to use them, or do you look elsewhere. If you complain about a company and then continue to use them then you get what you deserve.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM
tmh

Beachboi - me grandparents din't speak "good English" and they be comin' from a wee village in Ireland.

Und mine odder grandparents komen from de big town ov Frankfurt in Germany und de English they speak is not so "good" either.

All me friends tink they sound charmin'...hmmmm
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:48 PM

tmh - having a friendly chat is one thing. Trying to get accurate understandable information and conduct business is something else. Communication, not entertainment.
regards - tom
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM
tmh

cary999 - my grandparents are able to carry on a business conversation in addition to a 'friendly chat'. Unless I get the Celtic Tiger thing wrong, I suspect others do to.

My point is people are simply being a tad ethnocentric.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Not necessarily. It is not just a language problem but a knowledge problem as well. I recently had a horrible experience re tickets I booked through Travelocity when a connecting flight was cancelled at the last minute. After being on hold for hours (no exaggeration!), the employee in the call center suggested that I book a connecting flight that would take me first to Atlanta, then to JFK, and I could then catch a flight from LaGuardia to my destination! When I pointed out to her the stupidity and wasted time of using two different airports in NYC, she thought I was nuts as I could simply take a cab! I ultimately cancelled the tickets and rebooked.