Delta SkyMiles Program Change(s)

Sep 17th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Delta SkyMiles Program Change(s)

I went to cash in some miles yesterday and found out that at least one award is changing value. As of November 17, first class (upper class) on Virgin from the US to Europe will increase from 80,000 miles to 100,000 miles.

As that was what I was getting I neglected to ask if there were other changes. So anyone contemplating a Delta award should at least be aware of the possibility of changes.
Sep 17th, 2003, 03:15 PM
sandi

All the programs are constantly changing their programs - miles required. Some go up, others go down. It's been that way from the beginning - nothing unusual.

Sep 18th, 2003, 01:45 PM

This is good to post as the changes have yet to be published anywhere on the Delta website that I could find.

I heard they're also eliminating the premium economy award on VS which is currently available for 60,000. The DL agent I spoke with last week (at the Skymiles partner desk) didn't even know about the change.

VS just lowered the mileage requirement for the same upper class award using their Flying Club miles from 100,000 to 80,000 miles in June of this year. I guess they wanted to change the fact that the mileage requirement was actually lower through Skymiles than their own FF program for the same award. I bet a lot of Flying Club members complained.
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I just found it... it's buried in the Skymiles Newsletter section rather than under awards:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...t/03/index.jsp

Effective November 17, 2003, requests for Upper Class redemptions on Virgin Atlantic for travel between the U.S. and the United Kingdom will increase to 100,000 miles. In addition, Economy and Upper Class awards for travel between the U.S. and Africa are increasing to 90,000 and 180,000 respectively. Please note that requests for all Premium Economy Class redemptions on Virgin will be discontinued on the same date. For Award levels available prior to November 17, 2003, visit Partner Airline Awards.
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:12 PM

I'm probably way late with this news, but I called about an upgrade today. My $1300 airfare to Europe next summer doesn't qualify for an upgrade. I would hve had to purchase full fare Economy to get upgraded to Business. At $2800, I decided to pass!

Search this Thread