Delta-financially??????

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Becky

Delta-financially??????

I am considering booking in advance for a Feb 2003 flight to Cancun. I found a great rate on orbitz for Delta airlines. Does anyone know if THEY are in trouble financially?? Thanks. Becky

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Vic

Delta is probably the heathiest of the major airlines both in terms of cash and the ability to raise more cash. The only major airlines currently in distress or extreme distress are US Air and United.

Buy your ticket and have a nice trip.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:01 PM
mercy

Only Southwest and maybe Continental are fiscally sound. Don't worry your tax dollars will keep delta in the air.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:23 PM
Yev

U firgot JetBlue is also making money.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
mercy

You are right! Don't think I'll buy any stock just yet though.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Vic

Well needn't worry about a government bailout. The deadline was June 28th and the only guarantees pending are US Air and United.

Try taking Southwest or JetBlue to Cancun.

Continental reported a small profit for June. I think it's irresponsible to scare people about the health of the airlines. They've been through tough times but baring another 911, they'll make it with the possible exceptions of US and UA.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:34 PM
lucille

Thanks, Vic, for your advice.

We booked Southwest to Cancun, for the people leaving from Dallas, and the New Yorkers are flying on JetBlue to Cancun.

We booked it all on Orbitz, for less than half the price any travel agent found. Actually, they found none of above flights, they must be really stupid.

We really look forward to our vacation!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:56 AM
carman

I don't think Southwest flys to Cancun. So how did you book it on Orbitz?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:13 AM
mercy

Jet Blue doesn't fly to Cancun either. Neither Southwest or Jet Blue participates in Orbitz. And discount fare to CUN for Feb 2003 are not loaded yet. Good going Lucille!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:30 AM
yyy

Jeese, Lucille, if you are going to be a troll the at least be somewhat clever about it!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Becky

Original poster here...
Thanks everyone. I did purchase. I got LA to Cancun on Delta (orbitz webfare)with an Atlanta stopover for a Grand Total $786. This included RT air for 2 persons, paper tix delivered via FedEx, and trip insurance!! Since we'll be traveling at "high season" in Feb-Mar I didn't want to hope for better rates as dates came closer. Other travellers in our party-from Baltimore/Washington and from Dallas got almost exact same rates and --even COOLER -- we'll ALL be on the same flights between Atlanta to Cancun! It just worked out that way!
I was going to see what the terrorists might have in store for us tomorrow, but THE HECK WITH THEM!
Thanks for everyone's help. Becky

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
a Travel Professional

LA to Cancun via ATLANTA? Have you looked at a map lately? You could have walked faster.
You would have done better on Aeromexico or Mexicana.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
yyy

A Travel Professional's post kickstarted me into researching this. ATP's quite right. Roundtrip LAX to Cancun in February 2003 is $562 on Mexicana, NONSTOP. Yes, plenty of flights are available at that rate.

Heck, even Continental is only $620 with a change in Houston and no need to schlep all the way to Atlanta...

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Vic

The $786 is for two tickets. That's a good deal and would not be available on a less circuitous route.

XXX, why didn't you look at Orbitz, it's there.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Vic

Travel professional.

Why are you so harsh and judgmental. Becky is saving over $300 compared with yyy's find. Many would do that to save and fly with friends. Many also refuse to fly Mexican airlines.