customs/immigration

Search

customs/immigration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
customs/immigration

I am traveling from Seattle to Copenhagen via Paris. Do I need to go through customs in Paris? Return trip is from Barcelona to Paris to Seattle. Where do I go through customs? If in Paris do I have to get my luggage, do customs, recheck luggage and go through security. I only have 1 hr 10 min on first leg and 1 hr 40 min on return. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Juede
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM

As both Denmark and France are part of Schengen you will go through IMMIGRATION at Paris, you will go through CUSTOMS at Copenhagen. On the return you won't see immigration or customs until you hit the US

You should not have to collect & recheck luggage at Paris as generally your luggage will be checked all the way through - but this depends on which airlines you are flying and if the tickets are booked as a single trip or separate tickets
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM

On the return, the OP will go through passport control in CDG to exit Schengen.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:59 AM

There is no "immigration" in Paris, it is just passport control. A matter of a few minutes, not to compare with immigration into the U.S. which may take several hours.

Customs is usually nothing. You just walk out of the baggage claim through a green gate.

It may take a bit longer if you have illegal drugs or weapons in your baggage.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling on Air France. Will that make a difference? Thanks for you input. It helps put my mind at ease.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Airline makes no difference whatsoever.

But you've already been told it's not going to be a big deal.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Your bags will be checked through if you're flying Air France.

Passport control = immigration
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Patty
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM

I should add that in addition to passport control, you'll also go through security in Paris. 1:10 is tight but doable. You'll arrive at 2E where you'll go through passport control, walk to 2D and clear security. You might find this helpful:

http://correspondances-aeroports.air....fr/_index.php
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Your bags will be checked through. As noted above, you will exit passport control at 2E and make the LONG walk to 2D. You will reclear security at 2D, but this doesn't take that long, usually. Just keep moving and you should make it, assuming no delays.

You will claim your bags and clear customs at CPH. Assuming you don't have anything to declare, just walk out the exit at CPH, there is usually nobody there anyway.

For the return, you will arrive 2D and you should follow the transfer signs to 2E and get on the bus that will drop you off at 2E.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Patty, thanks for posting that link to AirFrance. I'll have to remember that next I fly with them - what a great little tool. Travelgourmet, excellent info as well. Nona1, you seem to be pestering Juede for being a presumably newbie to int'l travel. She said it put "her mind at ease" and asked a simple followup question. I wouldn't think the airline would make a difference, just where you are arriving from...but then again, I wouldn't know for sure until I asked someone! That's what these forums are for - asking questions from others that have the experience. Just like you asked a question about 5% markdown. To a mathematics teacher (or any retail clerk) it is a trivial question and easy to figure out; for you it was a sincere question. Just as sincere as juede and his/her questions.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Hey I only answered the question. No, it doesn't make any difference. (and my maths question wasn't a simple 5% markdown, any moron could do that).
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM

ah, but nona, it was a simple maths problem. Since moron refers to someone with mental skills in the 8-14 year old range, I would suggest that any 'older' moron could also do that maths challenge. You just thought it was difficult because of your lack of experience with maths of that nature. How is it different? Just as juede obviously has a lack of experience in travel.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM

It does make a difference what airline(s) you fly. Not all interline baggage.