Search

Customs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Customs

Potentially dumb question,

On my flight back into the US, my flight lands in ATL and then I have a connecting flight in ATL to SFO.

Would I be going through customs in ATL or SFO?

My last time I flew from out of the country and back it was a direct flight so of course i went through customs at the airport I landed in.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 05:35 PM

You will clear immigration and customs at the first US destination. When you arrive at ATL you will pick up any checked bags then proceed through immigration/customs, then exit the secure area and drop off checked bags for your connecting flight, then clear TSA and go to your connecting gate.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 08:42 AM

As far as I remember, when I have connected in the US, I have cleared immigration on the first point of entry but did not go through customs. My luggage was checked through to the final destination but I did have to collect it and put it somewhere for it to be taken to the next flight. It was the same airline however and on one ticket.

Old Sep 6th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry balthy, your memory is off. Entering Europe usually works that way, but not the US. Unless you are flying from one of the few airports that has US officials in place, you clear BOTH immigration and customs at your point of entry to the US. In that order. After immigration you collect your luggage and clear customs, and then recheck it if you are connecting. There are airline desks right after you clear customs for the recheck.
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thursdaysd is correct and even if you haven't had access to any luggage you get to go through Security again lucky you
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 11:41 AM

Welcome to fodors, heather. This was not a dumb question. Where is your flight to ATL coming from?