Credit Card Fraud

Dec 25th, 2000, 01:05 AM
Aboli De

Credit Card Fraud

Recently I purchased tickets from an agent to fly to southeast asia. I sent the check for $1100. After I returned from the trip, the airlines called that the Credit Card holder on on whose card my ticket was purchased, is denying the charges. Obviously the agent used Credit Card fraudelently. I tried calling the agent but he disconnected his phone. Now the airlines wants me to pay full price for that ticket $2100. What should I do? I have already explained the situation to Airlines, they sympathise, but told me since the ticket appears to be purchased directly(without any Travel Agency's name on recored), they can not help me, and want me to pay $2100.
What should I do?

Dec 25th, 2000, 09:05 AM
xxx

Contact 1) the police, 2) your own lawyer and 3) whatever consumer office there may be in your state (if you are in a US state).

I think the airline's beef is with the card holder and the credit card company, not you, although you shouldn't try to use the ticket if you have it unless you are prepared to pay again. You are probably out the money, but see what the lawyer and the consumer office have to say.

Dec 25th, 2000, 09:08 AM
xxx

Woops, just reread your first post -- you already used the ticket. That puts you in a different position and you may be liable, although I still think the card holder and card company have to be brought into the picture.

You may, however, still be liable, but I don't get the reason why you are being charged $2100 if the original price was $1100. Do you have a copy of your cancelled check? That may help people track down the crooked travel agent.

This is a horrible situation but just one more reason to deal directly with airlines. Most travel agents are more or less honest, but any third party should be suspect where expensive tickets are concerned.

Dec 25th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Aboli De

Dear xxx,

I travelled on the ticket from NewYork. The ticket is purchased on the card, whose cardholder leaves in Germany. I don't know him/her. The ticket was purchased for full price, so airlines is expecting the full payment. They agree that I might have paid $1100 for this ticket (similar to what I used to pay earlier with different travel agents. I am frequent flier with this airlines) But they want full price from me. I did not know about this fraud till I return back to NY. I contacted the agent but he did not return my calls. Once he accidently picked the phone, upon hearing me, he said he understands the situation, and will get back to me. Next day his telephone was disconnected. I think, I have no way but to go to the cops.

Thanks for your reply.

Dec 25th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Tricia

sounds like a scam- they have someone in Germany with a card- they charge full price for your tickets- take your $1100 and are out the door- I wouldn't pay the airline yet- they can wait- Try the message boards at www.clarkhoward.com Its really a consumer type support board and they have a travel board with bonafide, certified agents that work with the radio disc jockey, Clark Howard and THEY can tell you what to do!

Dec 27th, 2000, 12:40 AM
abolide

Thank you Tricia. I have posed the question in their online discussion.