Search

Continental reward flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental reward flights

Hi,
I'm hoping to book travel to Greece for September 2011 for 3 people using miles on Continental. I’ve been looking on the website and was wondering if the flights that are not available now for reward travel would possibly show up as available at a later date? In your experience should we just book what is available now even if it they are not the best flights? Also, I will be using 3 separate accounts has it been anyone’s experience that I could book 2 of us and then there wouldn’t be a third seat? One last question, we’ve always booked travel rewards by phone. Do you think this is a better way than on online? Would the customer service rep have different options than what is showing online? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM

The phone rep can see more partner rewards than you can find on co.com, which are limited in the carriers offered.

If you decide to just get those offered online on co.com, you can have the reward ticket held until midnight ET the next day. Get all three held before actually issuing the tickets.

As for reward seats opening up, nobody knows. CO actually has been better in releasing saverpass awards earlier these days. In the past, they won't release them until about 3-4 months before flight.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM

I had to book 4 reward tickets over the phone for this past summer as I couldn't find anything online. Generally, I do it online with no problem. (We were trying to get to Spain on specific dates and the best the agent could do was into Lisbon and home from Geneva.) There was a charge; I think it was $25 per ticket. The agent would be able to ensure you get all 3 tickets, I would think, more easily than doing it one by one online.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM

There is no charge for booking partner awards that are no bookable on continental.com.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Now, that pi**es me off because our flights were on TAP and Swiss Air. So are you saying that they should not have charged me $100 ($25 x 4) to book online?
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM

travelgirl2 - My bad. They changed the policy earlier this year, and they are correct to charge you $25 per ticket. It's only waived for platinum elites.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM

In olden days, it seemed that continental released a few seats far in advance, a few more midway before the flight, and the rest about a week before the flight, when of course it was too late for anyone who wanted to plan a trip to take the seats.

I think they have moved to releasing more in advance, but it is still a challenge to get some, especially if you are traveling in a group.

I suspect there are no valid answers yet, because continental is engaged in a mating dance with united, and they are busy trying to come up with an integrated system, so they are not eager to commit prematurely to something that very well may change before your flight.

In this environment, I think it would we well worth the money to call, find a skilled representative, and have them work on solving your problem. Sometimes a good agent can make something work when a computer site can't.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM

rkkwan - Thanks for the info. It must be good to be platinum elite!
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:00 PM

clevelandbrown: "olden" is not a word.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Here's how it played out. I decided to try to book online. I had all my number and passwords at the ready (3 in total). I open up three different continental reward travel pages. I get all the itineraries set up. I buy the first one: LGA to Ottawa to Heathrow to ATH, return ATH to Toronto to O'Hare to LGA. I go to the next one: RNO to Denver to Heathrow to ATH. I have to refresh the window because when I go to book that flight I have input the wrong one pass number and when I get the window back up that flight is no longer showing up. Nor can I get the the LGA to ATH route I booked previously for passenger 1 for myself. I call Continental one pass and the rep is able to not only book all the outbound flights we want but is able to get me from ATH to Toronto to LGA, no Chicago so I'm home 5 hours earlier, and is able to change Passenger 1 to this same itinerary. It was well worth the additional 25 dollars per ticket for this alone. Thanks for your replies
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM

frogoutofwater,

Olden seems to have slipped into my dictionary, leading me to conclude that it is a word. Frogoutofwater isn't.