Cheapest way to keep AA miles alive??

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 02:33 AM
aby
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest way to keep AA miles alive??

Hi all
What's the Cheapest way to keep AA miles alive?
as a non-American (cannot use CC for miles), since i need an "action" every 18 months (used 2b 36...)
<b>what do you suggest? </b>
any small purchase to keep 'em alive?

Thanks in advance

aby
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:42 AM
yk

The AA shopping mall (link on aa's website) has hundreds of stores. All you need to do is go thru the shopping mall website and click on your desired merchant and buy something.

When do your miles expire? The AA shopping mall tend to take couple of weeks to post the miles to your account after your purchase.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM

To keep my USAir miles alive, I registered a credit card - ANY credit card you already have, not a new one from the airline - through USAir with the Rewards Network. Costs nothing. I registered my Amex card. Now whenever I use my credit card at their preferred restaurants, I get miles - enough to keep my account alive.

Cheapest restaurant on the list I could find was Burger King. So I ate there last month and got 10 miles (I think they give you 3X miles per dollar spent), enough to keep my miles alive. I'm not sure if there's a minimum purchase required for earning miles but I suppose you could go buy a soda once a year at Burger King to earn a few miles and keep your miles.

AA also has the same program, using the Rewards Network. AA calls it &quot;AAdvantage Dining.&quot;
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Hi aby, if you haven't already signed up on points.com, (www.points.com) you can get 10 AAdvantage miles when you sign up. Total cost, $0. There's no cheaper option than that. Just be careful, it may take some time for the points to be posted to your aadvantage account.

Hope this helps.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Andrew, that is what I was going to suggest.

If you dine some minimum number of times (I think it might be 5/year), you earn 5 miles/dollar. If a week or two later you rate the restaurant, you get an additional 5 miles/dollar. And there are often bonus programs for even more points.

I earn 1500-3000 AA miles every month just by eating out. Some of the restaurants are places near me that I already visited, And I usually try places new to the network, at least once.

Keith
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
aby
Original Poster

Thank you all

<b>yk</b>
i wasn't aware of this mall. hope they send out of US. otherwise i'll flowers or a magazine to you...

<b> RJames</b> a good idea, though i've signed before, it can help my daughter with her AA points/miles

<b>Andrew &amp; Keith</b> as a non-American, my Amex / Visa/ Diner's
have no agreement with AA

aby
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM
aby
Original Poster

yk
the word &quot;send&quot; was skipped
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM

aby, are you sure you still can't use a credit card with the Rewards Network? They are kind of the &quot;middle man&quot; with AA. You don't directly earn miles by eating out; you earn restaurant &quot;rewards&quot; which Rewards Network then automatically awards as miles to AA. Are you saying you tried to register one of your credit cards with Rewards Network and you were denied?
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
yk

aby- I'm a bit confused. Are you a non-American living in the US or you are a non-American living outside of the US?

If the former, you should be able to buy something from one of the vendors on
https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:42 AM
aby
Original Poster

well i'm a non-american living in non-America (somewhere out there in the &quot;old world&quot
i can transfer CC points into Continental miles though - if you knew the rates you'd understand how lucky you are

<font color="brown"> just found another possibility: Charity donations with 5 miles per $... </font>

&amp; just seen AA's mail with the following deal: by agreeing to get some AA mail offers i get 500/1000 miles. OK i agree !! spam me...