Change fee advice needed

Sep 17th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Change fee advice needed

We had close friends on the Conception dive boat, an entire family lost. Their memorial has been scheduled during an international trip, the day before we get back. We desperately want to go but in my grief I don't want to make dumb costly decisions. The trip is coming up quickly in just a few weeks.

We are flying from the U.S. to London on American Airlines. We got a great rate at $419, so some loss wouldn't be a big deal. Right now there are flights from London back to the west coast a day before the memorial for just slightly over $300, and I suspect buying that one-way ticket might be cheaper than any fee change AA will charge. I've never changed a flight myself in my life. I have no idea how to cost this out. Can I just call and ask? --->edit, I called and asked. $275 change fee plus additional fare fee of about $200, so an extra $500 per ticket.

What happens to our return flights if we buy another airline's one way? it's non-refundable, so I assume it's gone?

We didn't buy trip insurance, and I used our Capital One card but I doubt it covers the deaths of friends, no matter how many or how tragic.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but my brain just isn't working at full potential right now.

Last edited by christycruz; Sep 17th, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Sep 17th, 2019, 08:37 AM

I'm so sorry -- I didn't know any of the casualties but know people who did and 3 or 4 people who had sailed on the Conception in the past.

I also suspect the $300 one way ticket will be the cheapest option, but first I'd call -- and hope for a sympathetic agent. Don't tell them you are considering abandoning the return portion of your current booking.