Chance for an upgrade using miles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally found the combination of United flights I need to get me to Washington, D.C. in April, but I see that I have to purchase the tickets BEFORE I can find out about upgrades using miles. Could someone with experience doing this give me any tips? I hate to invest in a ticket and then find out I can't get an upgrade, which I need because of knee surgery. This was never a problem with AA (and I sure hope that doesn't change!).
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM

My experience has been that when I use the agent via phone I can do it all as one transaction. I realize there is a phone fee usually, but frankly I find it worth it as they have even been able to steer me to flights I could get an upgrade on that I hadn't cosidered and worked out fine.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM

There is a way to check availability of upgrade awards on the United site. You will need to set your online profile to "Expert" mode and then do a dummy search for a "standard" award. That type of search will show you availability for both paid fares and award seats. I and others have posted detailed instructions here in the past. I'll try to find them. In the meantime, as patandhank suggests, it is just as easy to call and check.

FYI, unless there is a change in the next week or so, United will be altering its mileage upgrade policy effective January 12. From that point, upgrades will require miles plus a cash co-pay. Upgrades requested prior to that date won't be affected.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,53079,00.html
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I am sure glad I fly mostly with AA now!

I'll be using credit from a flight I had to cancel last October, at which time I lost the cost of 2 upgrades to Economy Plus for travel to Hawaii. Now I find that besides losing the cost of the one ticket I purchased I have to pay a $150 change fee unless I can get a note from my doctor (not, alas, my teacher!) saying that I was sick and unable to travel. This was, of course, the one time I didn't buy trip insurance!

Any suggestions? My doctor is out of town until the 11th.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I did call, after checking the web site and seeing the "upgrades available" notation after the flights I wanted. When I spoke with the agent I was told that upgrades were not available.

No wonder our airlines are in trouble. At this point I am so frustrated that I'm thinking of skipping the trip, much as I hate to give UA my $591.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM

Hello Underhill, consider calling UA tomorrow morning and if you get a "NO" thank the rep, wait a couple of hours and call again and continue to do so with the hopes that you will reach "someone" that is helpful. Outside of the annoyance of being on the phone you have nothing to lose. And best wishes to you, I hope you are able to take your trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi, LoveItaly--

That's what I did. It took about 2 hours to get through the tangled web of getting flights with upgrades available, but the third agent was able to make the right connections (sorry!). I was supposed to do a survey after the call, but the next thing I knew I got the "if you want to make a long-distance call" intercept. Too bad: I wanted to say good things about the very helpful guy.

Now onward to France in December, once I calculate the date when I can start calling AA for a free ticket. Wish me luck.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM

Fantastic, Underhill! I am so happy you got it worked out.

And you know I will wish you luck for your December France trip. Let's have lunch when winter is over and you return from DC, we can catch up on our lives. And seriously, congratulations on getting your flight to DC worked out so that you can be in BC.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly,

As a result of a computer crash I've lost your e-mail address; please send it to me, and yes, lunch in the spring would be nice.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Hi Underhill, I had my computer crash once and lost all the email addresses, what a pain.

I wanted to let you know I saw your post and I will email you in the next day or two. Take care and stay warm, it sure is a foggy day!